Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turbo core?

Turbo core?

I have never worked with one. What kind of KW/ton do they deliever?

The reason I ask is our building owners are going to replace the old dead sidewinder machines. The Chief is sold on them as being effecient throught any load. From 50 to 200 tons.

What are others thoughts on them?
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

beaware of waranty problems with the turbo core your gona eat labor time no mater what and there will be a warranty call otherwise a great efecient product as long as it ships with the proper cooling orfice as far as kw/toni i know its better than a screw oh yeah one other thing THEY WILL NOT WORK ON AIR COOLED APS

Why won't they work in air cooled aps.

I know the new 123 Trane's run about 45KW/Ton. I wass wondering if the turbo cors can compair.

Quote Originally Posted by snipe70e View Post
    I know the new 123 Trane's run about 45KW/Ton. I wass wondering if the turbo cors can compair.
    kW/Ton can be very misleading. most are rated at a certain set of conditions. you may or may not have those conditions. i know on the trane's that it can be expensive (options) to get you the really low kW/ton. like it has been said a million times or more on this site, design is more important than absolute kw/ton.
    "Mother" is the name for God on the lips and hearts of children....The Crow

I have seen two RTAA Turbocor retrofits running for almost a year with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby m View Post
    Why won't they work in air cooled aps.
    Curious myself.

http://www.turbocor.com/products_technology/energy.html
    You can get your answers here.
    bbdb what do you mean by cooling orifice? They have electronic expansion valves. We have installed several Thermalcare chillers with Turbocor compressors and had very few problems. One of the installs which we are adding another 180 ton unit to this month, we have not had a single warranty issue. We do have an air cooled unit that we installed and did have cold start issues in the beginning which have since been resolved.
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac_superman View Post
    bbdb what do you mean by cooling orifice? They have electronic expansion valves. We have installed several Thermalcare chillers with Turbocor compressors and had very few problems. One of the installs which we are adding another 180 ton unit to this month, we have not had a single warranty issue. We do have an air cooled unit that we installed and did have cold start issues in the beginning which have since been resolved.
    the motor cooling orifice

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    kW/Ton can be very misleading. most are rated at a certain set of conditions. you may or may not have those conditions. i know on the trane's that it can be expensive (options) to get you the really low kW/ton. like it has been said a million times or more on this site, design is more important than absolute kw/ton.

When it is on the name plate it usually means at the best conditions.

The readings were computer generated. Measure gpm, delta t, compare to KW usage. The last place where I worked the read out varried from a low of 0.42 to a high of 0.47 KW/ton. That was actual readings and not theroy.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac_superman View Post

Superman Thanks. Good link.
    I have never worked with a turocor so I was not sure what they were. My boss has described them as being a series of compressors each like a little V8. And I have my doubts about having a recip more effecient than a centrifical with an adaptive drive.

Im working on turbocors all the time, half of our installations are air cooled condensers. We had some problems when ambient starting creeping above 35'C, but modifying the lag compressors startup routines fixed all of the issues we were experiencing. Recently, we upgraded all compressors with a kit from danfoss to reduce the likelihood of any moisture damage from occurring. Apart from that, they have been excellent compressors.

they are the Ferrari af compressors i mean you change out a 5h 126 witch weighs well alot not to mention the 150 hp motor thats coupled to it and two guys can carry in the new turbo core compressor that probly weighs about 250 lbs and is probly a fraction of the size and doesnt reqire any lubrication pipe it up throw a couple of exvs in boom big energy savings lower maintence coasts a win win for customers but latley ive been hearing of quite a few problems with them from bad rotors to moisture from condinsation fouling circut boards and wrong size motor cooling orfice as far as air cooled goes i was informed by a danfoss rep that running these in a air cooled ap is not recomended because of higher head preshures

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast