Trane XR11 or XE1000 ?

We are buying a house that our inspector thought the a/c was not large enough for the size and location of the house. (3200 sq. ft. large south facing windows and 4 bedrooms upstairs) The a/c unit outside is a Trane XR11 md. 2TTR1036A1000AA (I understand this is a 3 ton unit) and the Furnace is an XR 90. We asked the seller at the inspectors advice to have a qualified HVAC contractor investigate. We then received a letter stating from the contractor that the XE1000 A/C installed in 2/2003 has been designed to meet the proper specifications for this home. Is the XR11 and XE1000 the same thing? We know for sure the condensor outside has XR11 on it. Any advice? The local Trane dealer I talked to said the rule of thumb is 600sq.ft. per ton.
    Thanks,
    Amorgan

Quote Originally Posted by amorgan View Post
    We are buying a house that our inspector thought the a/c was not large enough for the size and location of the house. (3200 sq. ft. large south facing windows and 4 bedrooms upstairs) The a/c unit outside is a Trane XR11 md. 2TTR1036A1000AA (I understand this is a 3 ton unit) and the Furnace is an XR 90. We asked the seller at the inspectors advice to have a qualified HVAC contractor investigate.

We then received a letter stating from the contractor that the XE1000 A/C installed in 2/2003 has been designed to meet the proper specifications for this home.
    Is the XR11 and XE1000 the same thing? We know for sure the condensor outside has XR11 on it. Any advice? The local Trane dealer I talked to said the rule of thumb is 600 sq.ft. per ton.
    Thanks, Amorgan
    IF you are in Northern Minnesota, 3-ton unit might be ok.
    I doubt that 3 tons is adequate for 3,200 square feet two story residence with large window area in most parts of the U.S.

The contractor who stated that the unit is properly sized can verify meeting specifications by providing a copy of ACCA Manual J calculation. Then you can have someone critique this firms ability to perform such calculation.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

First of all, never listen to any moron who spouts something about rules of thumb in sizing. 2nd of all, take what a home inspector said with a grain of salt. They are jack of all trades, master of none. We've had a couple stick their noses into our equipment sizing too.

The XR11 is the replacement for the XE1000. Similar mechanically, different warranty and cabinet.