Thread: Open registers

Open registers

I have a 2 story home which suffers (somewhat) from the ususal 'hotter upstairs' syndrome.

Recently, I removed a bedroom register to clean inside and was greeted with a strong blast of cold air. The flow was stronger than usual and could be felt throughout most of the room.

I then went around the upstairs and removed all of the registers and to my surprise, I was getting increased air flow from all of the registers. This, combined with almost constant running (had 96degree temp) resulted in the upstairs being quite comfortable.

The registers seem to be typical and direct the flow right and left. Previous to this, I had adjusted the dampers to favor the upstairs.

Would the fact that air flow increased indicate that I previously had a high(er) static pressure. My duct system is not of the most efficient design. Should I just leave them off?

AM

You do not want to leave them off, but you might consider purchasing less restrictive registers. By your description it sounds like you have the cheap stamped steel registers, which are restrictive.

Are these registers on the wall, ceiling, or floor?
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    You do not want to leave them off, but you might consider purchasing less restrictive registers. By your description it sounds like you have the cheap stamped steel registers, which are restrictive.

Are these registers on the wall, ceiling, or floor?
    Shophound:

The metal is quite substantial. The only part which is somewhat flexible are the adjustable vanes; the metal (vanes) is of a much thinner guage. They are located on the floor.

The dampers I was referring to were those located in the basement ductwork. I can't imagine any registers being less restrictive than these. Half of the flow goes right; the other half, left. The flow is directed upward, with very little forward. I seem to recall (years ago) seeing diverters which are placed at the rear of the register and direct the flow upwards and forward. As I recall, they were made of plastic. Are they worthwhile?

Regarding my question about the static, my a/c is 3 ton. My furnace is a Rheem RGDA-125-GR built in 1985. The blower is 10-10 DV 1/2 HP. My supply trunk is 8 x 24 with transitions. There are 7 - 6" & 9 - 5" ducts. I was told that my system is sized for 3 tons (1200 CFM). I don't know what speed the blower is running (there are multiple taps, but runs on single speed).

AM

Wink open registers

I just got central air, I have a two story row in philadelphia, I noticed the air wasn't as strong coming out of the upstair vents, I have the old medal vents that aim the air towards the floor can't adjust them.

The vents are on the wall by the baseboard. I tried to find new vent covers but they are an off size, so I took them off and flipped them so when the air blows out its blowing up. the rooms get nice and cool now, the vents look a little ugle because when you look at them you can see into the ducts but nobody going to see it because they are in the bedrooms.

Hottie

I am also from Philadelphia

If your vents are coming out of the wall and the direction is pointed down and you don't want to replace them you could also by plastic air diverters that are held on to the register by magnets or other means. These things stick on and aim the air upward. HomeDepot, Lowes may have them.

buy registers with more free area!
    or
    cut away every other vane of existing --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!