One system for 3800 square foot home/good whole house dehumidifier

Hello,
    I'm building a home in Massachusetts.

I was wondering if anyone could comment on my builder's plan to install just one system in our basement to heat/cool the entire house. It sounds weird to us but he's talking about stretch codes and all kinds of stuff I don't really understand.

Can this be done? I also plan to install a whole house dehumidifier to help with my children's dust allergies. Any recommendations for best systems? Teddy Bear had recommended the Ultra Air on another thread and it seems to address both ERV needs (was also going to install one of those) and air filtration (up to MERV 14). The dehumidifier could help with the one-system plan.

All comments most welcome...including best brands for the one-system approach if it's indeed realistic.

Thank you!

Doesn't sound realistic to me. is the basement included in the 3800sqft? If so how many sqft is the basement?

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Doesn't sound realistic to me. is the basement included in the 3800sqft? If so how many sqft is the basement?
    No. This does not include the basement. However, we'll be finishing the basement at some point and at that point, it will include it.

sounds like your heating and colling bills will be through the roof and you still will be struggling to keep up. I would think a complete load calc be done and two systems be install with merv 14 to 16 filter and also JMHO air knight or apco air scrubbers also

Is the house 1 story above grade or 2?
    I don't doubt the whole house could be heated cooled with one system, it's even temperatures that I would be most concerned about.

The ductwork would have to be perfect with a centrally located air handler, it "could be done" but most likely not by a general contractors hvac sub and his flex (residential new construction) brigade. I would go with 2 or 3 smaller units. One for master suite etc one for up and one for down possibly. I'd have to look at the prints and do some calculations to know exactly how I'd do it.

MERV 7 Filter is MORE THAN ENOUGH for the Equipment.

Filtration is FOR THE EQUIPMENT, NOT THE OCCUPANTS.

Build yourself an R-40 FOAMED "Igloo" and your heating requirements will be
    < 48,000 BTU/HR
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Is the house 1 story above grade or 2?
    I don't doubt the whole house could be heated cooled with one system, it's even temperatures that I would be most concerned about.
    I'm sorry..."even temperatures?" So the one system could work with some limitations?

Really? I thought I was saving money by having the filtration built in.

My builder said that one system means it will run nearly constantly which will help with the humidity issues (lots of wetlands around her). He also built his own home with one system. One additional item...we're spray-foaming our attic--in case that makes a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Two stories above grade.

The advantage is one system to maintain and repair, if it breaks you have no cooling.

With one system you should go to multi stage equipment and set it up so if one zone calls for cooling it can run in low stage. Or better yet use one of the OEMs contrl systems to control the zoning and staging.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Quote Originally Posted by newhomebuild View Post
    I'm sorry..."even temperatures?" So the one system could work with some limitations?
    It probably would keep the house warm/cool. Some rooms may be cooler/warmer than others. It takes a well designed duct system for even temperatures in all rooms to happen. As jtrammel stated it's unlikely for most residential installs.