Question Carrier Comfort vs Performance?

Hi Folks,
    Would like to ask the Carrier experts what I "lose" by going from the Carrier Performance to Comfort Series? The price difference is about $1000. This is not a deal breaker for me. I have read/compared the various stats but would like to hear from anyone who has real world hands (and ears!) on experience with both series. This system will replace a 20 year old Carrier in my (950 sq ft) guest house. As this is a quest house, the unit will get about 30% of the 'normal' residential usage - both for Heat and AC.
    The Furnace is in the garage with the air intake in the living room (which I also use as a music room). The AC unit sits on a patio outside the dining room window.
    I recently installed a Performance (3.5 ton) system in my Main Home and am very happy with it. Very Quiet. Very Efficient. A+ Contractor.
    So:
    Is the Comfort AC unit significantly louder?
    Is the Comfort Blower/Furnace Significantly louder?
    Does 14 SEER Comfort vs 15 SEER Performance factor in significantly?
    Any other plusses/minuses to consider?

Comfort:
    AC: 2 Ton Puron 14 SEER #24ACA424A003
    Furnace: 60K 92% AFUE #58MXB060F112

Perfomance:
    AC: 2 Ton Puron 15 SEER #24APA524A003
    Furnace: 60K 93% AFUE #58MTB060F112

Thanks for taking the time to consider this for me.

Hi,

I am a HO (homeowner) and have a 100k BTU Comfort furnace and a 3 ton Performance condenser.

The condenser is quiet. It's under my closed bathroom window and all I can hear is my furnace blower.

I've got to say my furnace isn't exactly the quietest thing in the world. Could be partly because there is no canvas section in either the supply or return, have no soft surfaces inside my ducts, among other things. But, I will say the Trane XL90 furnace I had in my previous residence (a 48/73k BTU furnace) was much quieter when standing directly next to it. I cannot comment on relative quietness between the items of interest. But Carrier does have dB ratings listed for the condensers you are interested in. Visit their site.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by akasrp View Post
    Hi Folks,
    in my (950 sq ft) guest house. As this is a quest house, the unit will get about 30% of the 'normal' residential usage - both for Heat and AC.

AC: 2 Ton
    Furnace: 60K 92% AFUE
    Have they done a Manual-J on this??? Sounds like a lot of cooling, and heating for that small of space.

zupchuck:
    Yes, I've read/compared the dB ratings - thanks. Was hoping to get some real-world feedback from folks familair w/ both. Had for me to 'imagine' what a 6-7dB difference would be...

mayguy:
    No, no manual-J performed. These are great contractors though - been here for 47 years - helped me out of a bad jam with a really lousy job done by another contractor (completely yanked out that sytem and installed a new one) - excellent install and great indoor comfort year-round - these particular house are pretty much cookie cutter.

Thank you both for taking the time to respond!

I just had a 2 week old Comfort Heatpump (25HCA324) replaced by a 15 seer Performance heatpump (25HPA524) yesterday. Must say it is much much quieter. I think they say it takes 4 performance series to equal the loudness of 1 comfort series.

With the comfort series, the compressor was loud, and the fan was loud too. Not overly loud but loud. But the performance series is so quiet that all you hear is the fan really. The neighbour mentioned last night that it was quieter than his window shaker.

And people seem to be amazed that it's actually running when they walk up to it (its so quiet).

The performance series is just a smidgen louder than a newer fridge when the compressor is running.

P.S. Long story about why it was replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by akasrp View Post
    zupchuck:
    Yes, I've read/compared the dB ratings - thanks. Was hoping to get some real-world feedback from folks familair w/ both. Had for me to 'imagine' what a 6-7dB difference would be...

mayguy:
    No, no manual-J performed. These are great contractors though - been here for 47 years - helped me out of a bad jam with a really lousy job done by another contractor (completely yanked out that sytem and installed a new one) - excellent install and great indoor comfort year-round - these particular house are pretty much cookie cutter.

Thank you both for taking the time to respond!
    A 6-7 db rating can be significant. db changes are not linear but rather logaritmic. A 1 db increase is about double the noise of the lower number. So db's go up quickly once you get into the higher comfort levels for noise. For example, 70 db is the approximate noise level from a sewing machine, just 10 db's more is an alarm clock and 85 is the Federal threshold for hearing protection over an 8-hour period. 90 db can cause hearing loss. In practical terms, 70 db is quiet, 80 db is noisy for most folks.

I'm glad you have such confidence in your HVAC company but frankly speaking, they're dropping the ball badly if they don't do Manual 'J' calculations. That's the 'gold standard' of a quality company.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Carrier Performance

The performance series outdoor unit is more efficient, quieter and better looking than the comfort series. If you are going to live in this location for a while, I would recommend the Performance series.

Thanks to all for the additional thoughts...

950 sq. feet and only 30% of normal residential usage. Man, I would install the cheapest model available. You might make your thousand dollars back in like 50 years.