Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Fuses !!

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    clgman you need to watch what you post in a non pro forum!

you might get someone seriously injured if they do what you explain!

Yes, your right !! This can be a potentially dangerous business. Not for the untrained novice. What does any piece of HVAC service literature state, or IOM, work to be performed by an experienced(or qualified HVAC)technician or some facsimile of that description. So, with that in mind, let the clueless be put on notice - don't touch it , if you don't realize all the potential hazards a piece of equipment may represent. BE CAREFUL, IT MIGHT JUST SAVE YOUR LIFE !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rwadams View Post
    I have a rooftop HP aprox 10 yrs. It keeps blowing fuses. I've cleaned the condenser & evap coils, changed the contacter, changed the cap & added a hard start. all pressures are good. Sometimes it will run for 2 months and sometimes for 2 hrs. depending on the weather. Should I replace the compressor or the whole unit?
    first if your not qualifed call some on who is second check all electrical conections third meger out the compressor ,and fan motors

Quote Originally Posted by njcontractor View Post
    Most likely loose fuses in the disconnect. Replace disconnect to be safe and double check amps, wiring, make sure it is not short cycling. OR just cut a piece of copper the same size as the fuse and ....

So when it catches fire - burns the building down - kills several people - You are going to take the rap ????

DO NOT follow this suggestion - Fuses are there for two main reasons to protect the equipment and to protect you.

Fuses do NOT blow for no reason - find the cause and fit the correct fuse for the equipment.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
    So when it catches fire - burns the building down - kills several people - You are going to take the rap ????

DO NOT follow this suggestion - Fuses are there for two main reasons to protect the equipment and to protect you.

Fuses do NOT blow for no reason - find the cause and fit the correct fuse for the equipment.

Paula
    Paula is right fuses and circuit braekers are made to protect the equipment and especially the owner (tenants).

Seek help from qualified AC technicians around your vicinity, Ask for a NATE
    Certified. They can help you with your problem. Don't try to do it if you are
    not capable of doing it.

I observe the problem is repetitive as per your info.

Don't waste time, find a NATE certified Technician to resolve the problem
    before you set the building on fire, if so.. get ready to call 911 rather than a NATE technician.
    hahaha...

peace,

yp5

id shoot the inf at the disconnects connection points n the fuse .. i use my black sharpie on the fuse if its a shiny new one to get good reading .. this is one way i use to check the connections & contact points on a disconnect .. but this may not be the only issue with your unit .. just a thought for ya ... & yea definetely dont use copper pipe instead of fuses

Fuse Issues that keep on giving !!

Quote Originally Posted by yp5 View Post
    Paula is right fuses and circuit braekers are made to protect the equipment and especially the owner (tenants).

not capable of doing it.

before you set the building on fire, if so.. get ready to call 911 rather than a NATE technician.
    hahaha...

peace,

yp5
    Your obviously impressed by, or endorsing Nate personnel, thats fine. However, please review proper sections of the NEC, or whatever electrical code has jurisdiction in your area pertaining to Circuit Overcurrent Protection and what fuses actually protect.

Quote Originally Posted by clgman View Post
    Your obviously impressed by, or endorsing Nate personnel, thats fine. However, please review proper sections of the NEC, or whatever electrical code has jurisdiction in your area pertaining to Circuit Overcurrent Protection and what fuses actually protect.
    fuses.......and circuit breakers......protect the wire.....the equipment...motors...compressor motors have their own methods of protection.

Fuses !!!

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    fuses.......and circuit breakers......protect the wire.....the equipment...motors...compressor motors have their own methods of protection.
    You're not suppose to fill it in for him -

Quote Originally Posted by clgman View Post
    I undestand that All NATE Technicians are not equppied with the clauses of National Electrical Code or NFPA 70. But, I'm pertaining to any related mechanical means or root cause of the frequent burn fuses of the AC Unit which can only be resolved by The Certified AC technician.

Just in case the Electrical devices are compliant with the mandates of NEC. Perhaps the electrical devices was originally compliant and plans are checked by professional engineer prior to commencement of the first installation of this AC units.

Other problem that i suspect, the fuses were replace by undersized
    rating compared to the original fuse sizes. Better check the old plans or equipment power ratings.

An Electrical Engineer combined with A certified technician is also a must to resolve the issue.

yp5

So many causes for frequent fuses burn out in AC units.

Fuses !!!

Quote Originally Posted by yp5 View Post

not capable of doing it.

hahaha...

peace,

yp5
    O.K., I will lighten up a bit !! The point I was attempting to make was, there are other service guys out there who don't have a Nate patch on their shoulder - that might have a clue about this trade, and that the main purpose of fuses in a system(circuit breaker in panel)is to protect the non-grouded conductors, raceway, conduit, switch gear, and last the equipment.
    Please correct me, if I'm wrong - conductor protection is paramount, and the NEC really does'nt care to much about what happens inside that A/C box as long as it is fused according to code. Just my opinion !!!!

I would recommend you have a hvac service technician look at your problem. Period. Nate, rses, or otherwise won't or don't mean a hill of beans.Do it yourself guess work can lead to possible loss of life, limb, and or property.

Quote Originally Posted by rwadams View Post
    I have a rooftop HP aprox 10 yrs. It keeps blowing fuses. I've cleaned the condenser & evap coils, changed the contacter, changed the cap & added a hard start. all pressures are good. Sometimes it will run for 2 months and sometimes for 2 hrs. depending on the weather. Should I replace the compressor or the whole unit?
    I've had issues with crankcase heaters intermittently blowing fuses, if your unit has it (them) maybe give them a look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast