Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuses keep blowing out!

Post Likes

Fuses !!!

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    fuses.......and circuit breakers......protect the wire.....the equipment...motors...compressor motors have their own methods of protection.
    You're not suppose to fill it in for him -

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clgman View Post
    Your obviously impressed by, or endorsing Nate personnel, thats fine. However, please review proper sections of the NEC, or whatever electrical code has jurisdiction in your area pertaining to Circuit Overcurrent Protection and what fuses actually protect.
    I undestand that All NATE Technicians are not equppied with the clauses of National Electrical Code or NFPA 70. But, I'm pertaining to any related mechanical means or root cause of the frequent burn fuses of the AC Unit which can only be resolved by The Certified AC technician.

Just in case the Electrical devices are compliant with the mandates of NEC. Perhaps the electrical devices was originally compliant and plans are checked by professional engineer prior to commencement of the first installation of this AC units.

Other problem that i suspect, the fuses were replace by undersized
    rating compared to the original fuse sizes. Better check the old plans or equipment power ratings.

An Electrical Engineer combined with A certified technician is also a must to resolve the issue.

yp5

Post Likes
    So many causes for frequent fuses burn out in AC units.

Post Likes

Fuses !!!

Quote Originally Posted by yp5 View Post
    Paula is right fuses and circuit braekers are made to protect the equipment and especially the owner (tenants).

Seek help from qualified AC technicians around your vicinity, Ask for a NATE
    Certified. They can help you with your problem. Don't try to do it if you are
    not capable of doing it.

I observe the problem is repetitive as per your info.

Don't waste time, find a NATE certified Technician to resolve the problem
    before you set the building on fire, if so.. get ready to call 911 rather than a NATE technician.
    hahaha...

peace,

yp5
    O.K., I will lighten up a bit !! The point I was attempting to make was, there are other service guys out there who don't have a Nate patch on their shoulder - that might have a clue about this trade, and that the main purpose of fuses in a system(circuit breaker in panel)is to protect the non-grouded conductors, raceway, conduit, switch gear, and last the equipment.
    Please correct me, if I'm wrong - conductor protection is paramount, and the NEC really does'nt care to much about what happens inside that A/C box as long as it is fused according to code. Just my opinion !!!!

Post Likes
    I would recommend you have a hvac service technician look at your problem. Period. Nate, rses, or otherwise won't or don't mean a hill of beans.Do it yourself guess work can lead to possible loss of life, limb, and or property.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by rwadams View Post
    I have a rooftop HP aprox 10 yrs. It keeps blowing fuses. I've cleaned the condenser & evap coils, changed the contacter, changed the cap & added a hard start. all pressures are good. Sometimes it will run for 2 months and sometimes for 2 hrs. depending on the weather. Should I replace the compressor or the whole unit?
    I've had issues with crankcase heaters intermittently blowing fuses, if your unit has it (them) maybe give them a look.

Post Likes
    i myself am nate certified & am pretty damn good at what it is i do & learn more every day & i love it .. sadly just because a person is nate certified, it doesnt make him a better tech then joe jerkoff with no cert. all it is is a piece of paper .... some will argue but i seen it first hand .. i hope the whole nate thing is different now & i dont mean to start a debate or make enemys .. it just reminds me of the epa cert & any other cert that as long as u show up for the instructional part .. u basically pass .. my tech school was like that as well

Post Likes
    I agree with ya 110 % wiz, I've run across a few in my time that had certifications and licenses out the kazoo and could'nt fix crap and I've known others with years of experience that fixed everything they come up to but could'nt talk to the customer. So what can you do , you know! I see the same in all other endeavors too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwadams View Post
    I have a rooftop HP aprox 10 yrs. It keeps blowing fuses. I've cleaned the condenser & evap coils, changed the contacter, changed the cap & added a hard start. all pressures are good. Sometimes it will run for 2 months and sometimes for 2 hrs. depending on the weather. Should I replace the compressor or the whole unit?
    Ok first off whats the primary voltage? 208/240 or 460? Second, is it just blowing one fuse or two?

Sometimes if its just one fuse, you may have a bad power feed, either from your panel or coming from the transformer to the building.

I've seen a simular problem in the past, and once the power company changed the transformer, the customer had no further problems.

Post Likes
    Every time I have a bad fuse the first thing i do is check all condensor motors, indoor motors, and compressors. I say about 80% of the time its a grounded compressor or motor. If its not one of those then I either find a wire rubbed out on copper tubbing or the disconnect is faulty.

Post Likes
    O.K., I will lighten up a bit !! The point I was attempting to make was, there are other service guys out there who don't have a Nate patch on their shoulder - that might have a clue about this trade, and that the main purpose of fuses in a system(circuit breaker in panel)is to protect the non-grouded conductors, raceway, conduit, switch gear, and last the equipment.
    Please correct me, if I'm wrong - conductor protection is paramount, and the NEC really does'nt care to much about what happens inside that A/C box as long as it is fused according to code. Just my opinion !!!!
    NEC should care....How about the factory wiring of those power cabling and AC controls inside the AC unit? What Code and testing method is applicable? Megger testing on factory assembly as the Company quality assurance/quality control is conducted? was it an NEC clause that is a followed on it's power cabling or something else? I'm a mechanical engineer, perhaps an electrical engineer can answer this accurately.

Post Likes

aircooled81

Don't just go replacing components without knowing what's wrong, why not just replace the whole peice of equipment, and then find out it had to do with the disconect, or the wiring to the unit. Can you confirm you put the correct size fuses in, are the slow blow fuses, are all the electrical connections tight? any wires going to major components having high resistance. Too much electricity is obviously blowing your fuses, high amperage is cause by high resistance or under working fan motors and over working compresors.
    By the way, it could be as simple as a loose indfan belt, and every two months some one changes filters without shutting the equipment down, causing the indoor motor to over amp pulling to much air suddenly when the door is opened.
    Also, hp... if that's heat pump, is your reheat wired through the same disconect? You can pull a large amount of current through a bad reheat coil that is only being used mayb 'every 2 months'...
    Last edited by Aircooled81; 07-21-2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: had to add one more thing

Post Likes

Fuses and more !!

Quote Originally Posted by yp5 View Post
    NEC should care....How about the factory wiring of those power cabling and AC controls inside the AC unit? What Code and testing method is applicable? Megger testing on factory assembly as the Company quality assurance/quality control is conducted? was it an NEC clause that is a followed on it's power cabling or something else? I'm a mechanical engineer, perhaps an electrical engineer can answer this accurately.
    I believe manufacturers fall into an acception clause, but must pass UL and the Candian safety standards. It's most likely a good thing for them(manufacturers) because according to NEC they violate several codes (I.E. number of conductors in a raceway, accessibility, number of conductors in a juction box, grounding, etc.,etc., & common sense). We all can be sure that they only meet minimum standards so as to save the very last penny. Interesting topic !!!

Post Likes
    I believe manufacturers fall into an acception clause, but must pass UL and the Candian safety standards. It's most likely a good thing for them(manufacturers) because according to NEC they violate several codes (I.E. number of conductors in a raceway, accessibility, number of conductors in a juction box, grounding, etc.,etc., & common sense). We all can be sure that they only meet minimum standards so as to save the very last penny. Interesting topic !!!
    I would have to agree on you, that is why end users or consumer suffers in these type of marketing strategy. Should they passed the standards in each localities or countries,They are still hiding the perfectness of thier own products. They have to be competitive with thier market pricing, main reason why selecting cheap equivalent raw materials which oftentimes affects the quality of thier products resulting to factory defects even it has marking "Passed" on thier so called QA/QC.

Post Likes

Blown Fuses

You don't just want to replace a compressor with out determining why the fuses keep blowing. One option would be to install a data logger. It will track and log your voltages and amps for a few days, this will probably give you a good indication if it's related to your power. Could be a number of things, condenser motor overheats after awhile, checkvalves could be partially clogged, reversing valve. You are going to need to check all your amps and voltages for sure on every motor in your system.

Post Likes
    There can be a whole slew of things that can cause an intermittent fuse failure.
    You said depending on the weater is when the fuse blows.
    There would be several directions to follow depending on the condition that the fuses are blowing under.
    Is it rain,high temperature,medium temperature's like 50-60,or other?
    each condition has it's own basics to check for.
    Take your time & do it right!

Post Likes
    Fuses are thermal devices, the fuses are are overheating due to bad connections or there is a short to ground. Focus on the obvious.

Post Likes
    Dough Boy Copper at the fuse holders or at any point most likely in the disconnect. Infared shoot is dead on way to confirm. Above 130' to 140' would be not good. I want to see not more than 10' above ambient.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in