Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 71
  1. #1

    12 pounds of freon added to my AC unit??

    My outside AC unit had been running normally, but there was no cold air coming into the house. It was about 88 inside...so I called a local company (they've been around for years) on Thursday, and the soonest they said they could send someone out was on Sunday July 7th (after normal hours, of course - $$).

    When the tech showed up, he said he checked the blower (?) and it looked like it was all rusted and had a leak (it is under the house...for some very odd reason it was put in during the house construction in 1984 and the house was built over top of it(?)). The tech said the blower would have to be replaced, but that it would have to be put somewhere else, as there was no way to put one in the same place (under the house). He said he would call us later with an estimate, but for the time being he would add freon to give us some relief. He said he added 12 pounds of freon, which could last a month or a week - he had no way of knowing, but that we could see about getting repairs in the meantime.

    He gave us a receipt for the service call, showing 12 pounds of freon, charged us $XXXXX, and left. Several hours later, the AC unit stopped working. It would kick on periodically, spin for 10 seconds, and then with a loud "thunk" shut completely down. This has gone on for almost 2 days, and we haven't heard back from the guy -- it's also almost 90 in the house now. Anyway, isn't 12 pounds of freon a ridicules amount? I've done a little internet research on freon/EPA and all that, and what he did doesn't seem at all right (could he really have added that much freon - I don't think the unit holds that much!). Furthmore, if he knew it would leak right out, why would you let 12 whopping pounds of freon just leak into the atmosphere like that?

    Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice - Katherine
    Last edited by HeyBob; 07-10-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Pricing, read rules please!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of Houston
    Posts
    126
    He did teach you something tho, call someone else

    This guy just riped you off.

  3. #3
    I was pretty sure of that myself, but I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt (often to my own detriment). However, I just now finished cancelling the check I wrote him, so perhaps he won't enjoy himself quite so much afterall. I'm wondering if I should go down to the DA's office and see about taking a warrant out for attempted larceny...however, I'm just tired of putting so much personal energy into horrible people and I'm not sure it's worth my time. Perhaps there is a governing board of some sort where I could simply report him and save some other poor soul similar grief?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    930
    12 pounds, huh? Go read the info plate on the outdoor unit. It will give you the standard charge. The actual charge could be a little more. Most residential systems don't contain 12 pounds total.

  5. #5
    Yeah - I looked at that before I posted...looks like it only holds 5 pounds, but I wasn't exactly sure if I'd read it correctly.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by gevans View Post
    12 pounds, huh? Go read the info plate on the outdoor unit. It will give you the standard charge. The actual charge could be a little more. Most residential systems don't contain 12 pounds total.
    When you say "the actual charge could be a little more", does that mean that the tech really could have used 12 pounds even though the unit actually holds only 5?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Yo.... Here!, I'm right here..
    Posts
    6,236
    Have you called the company back, maybe just a bad or inexperienced tech.

    I just read you CANCELED the CHECK..........

    Without calling them first? Gees I hope not................

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta Ga
    Posts
    33
    Canceling the check was definitely the right thing to do!!

    I have never seen a residential system hold 12 lbs!

    Did he even have a scale to measure actual amount used or was this a "she's a woman and won't know the difference" type of service call.

    I would lodge a complaint with the local BBB, and also lodge a complaint with the Governor's office of consumer affairs in your state.

    To claim that you used 12 of something when you didn't actually use it is FRAUD!

    Katherine, find another REPUTABLE service company in your area, do your homework, check the BBB website, find out how many years they have been in business and ask for references. At this point you are only out the $30.00 service fee for canceling a check. Hold your ground on this original thief and don't give him a penny.

    Best of luck

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta Ga
    Posts
    33
    Better business bereau Website is www.bbb.org

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    16,002
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricanefront View Post
    Canceling the check was definitely the right thing to do!!
    I have never seen a residential system hold 12 lbs!
    Well sir, there are a hell of a lot out there that do hold 12 lbs and some even hold more you should not post if you don't know what your talking about. You are only giving this guy another reason to dis his a/c company which he just "may" have a big leak and the thing might be cutting on and off on low pressure cut out is what my cyberspace diagnose is, and now everyone has jumped on the call another a/c company band wagon, why not call them back give them a chance to go over it again and see what the problem is , and you know what it "could" be something totally different than the original problem are hurricanefront have you never seen this before either?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    16,002
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricanefront View Post
    Better business bereau Website is www.bbb.org
    Boy aren't you the hanging judge!!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Have you called the company back, maybe just a bad or inexperienced tech.

    I just read you CANCELED the CHECK..........

    Without calling them first? Gees I hope not................
    eerrrp. I hope I didn't just make a bad situation worse. When I read that the AC unit could only hold 5 pounds and I was charged for 12, I figured there was no other explanation except outright fraud.

    This was no inexperienced tech though - I'm pretty sure it was the owner (in his late 50's, so I doubt he's new at this). He's been in the local phone book for years and years as well. This is a military town too, so I'm quicker to suspect I'm being ripped off because of it...(it happens to young military folks so often here - sadly enough).

    But the truth is, I just don't know the protocol on something like this. I've never cancelled a check before either, but in my mind writing a replacement check (if it's warranted) would be much easier than trying to get my money back from a dishonest business.

    Since I first posted, my husband called me (I'm at work) and he was able to get another company out to the house to look at the AC unit since I left this morning. That second guy said that the drain pan, etc., was all rusty on the blower (?), and that there probably certainly a leak, but that the unit only held 5 pounds of freon and being charged for 12 pounds was crazy. He also questioned why the first company would even put freon in it if he thought the unit was so bad that it needed completely replaced.

    Anyway, this second guy said that they would, for about $XXX, put in a new coil and use sheet metal to basically bolster up the old unit...that labor was more because it's under the house and they'd have to "dig under it" to make room to get the work done. Moreover, he said even if they patched it up it would only last 2 or 3 more years. The other option was to replaced "everything" because the outside unit (air handler?) is a 1994, and new rules required us to replace that too if we replaced the blower, and he quoted us $8000.00+.

    We have two heat pumps, and the one for the second floor was just replaced, and I think it was around $5000.00, so maybe he's telling it like it is, I don't know. However, the reason he suggested repairs instead is because we're in the middle of a move (my husband just retired) and the house is going on the market in a month. I'd hate to leave the new homeowner with a cobbled mess, but we also don't have $8k laying around. Any suggestions? (by the way, I do know I sound like an idiot, but my husband is even less handy than I am, so we're a pretty sorry pair when it comes to this kind of thing!).
    Last edited by ARPA; 07-10-2007 at 05:06 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta Ga
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by triflesfromafar View Post
    My outside AC unit had been running normally, but there was no cold air coming into the house. It was about 88 inside...so I called a local company (they've been around for years) on Thursday, and the soonest they said they could send someone out was on Sunday July 7th (after normal hours, of course - $$).

    When the tech showed up, he said he checked the blower (?) and it looked like it was all rusted and had a leak (it is under the house...for some very odd reason it was put in during the house construction in 1984 and the house was built over top of it(?)). The tech said the blower would have to be replaced, but that it would have to be put somewhere else, as there was no way to put one in the same place (under the house). He said he would call us later with an estimate, but for the time being he would add freon to give us some relief. He said he added 12 pounds of freon, which could last a month or a week - he had no way of knowing, but that we could see about getting repairs in the meantime.

    He gave us a receipt for the service call, showing 12 pounds of freon, charged us $XX, and left. Several hours later, the AC unit stopped working. It would kick on periodically, spin for 10 seconds, and then with a loud "thunk" shut completely down. This has gone on for almost 2 days, and we haven't heard back from the guy -- it's also almost 90 in the house now. Anyway, isn't 12 pounds of freon a ridicules amount? I've done a little internet research on freon/EPA and all that, and what he did doesn't seem at all right (could he really have added that much freon - I don't think the unit holds that much!). Furthmore, if he knew it would leak right out, why would you let 12 whopping pounds of freon just leak into the atmosphere like that?

    Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice - Katherine
    If I "repaired" your car, and it broke down "a couple of hours later" and you tried to get a hold of me and I wouldn't return your call after 2 days, would I expect you to be mad as hell, yes. If you canceled the check you wrote to me for not fixing the problem and not having the common courtesy to reply to a customer complaint, would I blame you? Hell no!

    If this is acceptable service to you then I feel sorry for your customers.

    Also short of being about a 5 ton 19 SEER unit with a line set of about 100' and an oversized indoor coil, I have never seen a charge adder sheet that would arrive at 12 Lbs total charge. Since the original equipment was installed in 1984 in a crawl space I sincerely doubt that is the case. 19 SEER units didn't even exist back then.

    I know you guys stick together, but be honest, when you see a scam call a spade a spade
    Last edited by ARPA; 07-10-2007 at 05:06 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event