Ice on refrigerant line

Worse time that this can happen. Our service techs can't get out here until Friday and we just started a Heat Wave! So basically, the unit isn't cooling. Everythings running normally. Just cleaned the filters lastnight because it wasn't cooling too well yesterday, now its barely cooling at all. Went outside to the unit and noticed that the refrigerent line is iced up just outside the condensor. What does this mean and what can I do? Oh, also, while I was cleaning it, it was leaking water which was expected but is still leaking water from the bottom with it running. The pump is working so its not leaking from there. Thanks in advance for all replies. Got 4 kids at home and they're boiling!

Iced up suction line could be low air flow, low charge, dirty evap., plugged metering device. Try running the indoor fan (only-no cooling) to see if you can melt the ice. Maybe you can get enough cooling to get you to friday, depending on how humid it is there. Where eactly is the water coming from?

You need to turn off the system until your tech can get there or call another company.
    You may damage the unit and end up buying a new system.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

You can run the fan in manual "on" from your T-stat to circulate air until a Tech arrives. Just make sure it doesn't go into cooling and tries to bring on the compressor. You can do this at the stat as well.
    I love to Cook...HVAC is a hobby that pays the bills!

if the filter was very dirty that could cause the ice up.

shut off a/c and run fan only for 4-6 hours.

turn a/c back on and see how it does, if it ices up again leave it off till it can be serviced.

Get a window unit from Home Depot or whatever, less than 100-300 bucks. I have one to cool my shop and comes in handy for homeowners in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    if the filter was very dirty that could cause the ice up.

shut off a/c and run fan only for 4-6 hours.

turn a/c back on and see how it does, if it ices up again leave it off till it can be serviced.

dude its monday,unless its free and you can suffer thruogh, i would call another company that can give you some service even if its just a gas and go and i'll be back to leak check and repair

but like ed said if that filter was real dirty i would shut down and let it run with the fan only for a few hours
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the replies. tried leaving it off for a few hours and turned it back on without any luck. The ice turned out to be just frost on the line where the liner is torn and the line is exposed to the outside air, think that's normal. Along with the no cooling, alot of water is draining from the air handler onto the floor although the drain pump is working. What can this be? Also, my air cleaner is now giving me a fault light on the display. All sorts of things going wrong! We already had a window unit that we used before we put this in so I threw that in last night. So we can atleast wait until Friday when the tech shows up. At this point, I'm more curious about what the issue might be. Without knowing anything about these systems, I'm speculating that the internal components in the air handler are freezing up and this can account for the extra water when the system gets turned off. I did feed a rolled up paper towell down the access tube on the drain and pulled it out wet which I think would mean that water is draining into the pump. The pump however doesn't go on as frequently as it has under normal working conditions. Like I said, at this point, we're just going to wait for the tech, but I like to have some knowledge and troubleshooting insight with these things. Thanks again everyone!