What are some causes of Duct Odor?

My house has a New Gas Furnace and New Evaporator coil, both were replace about 7 months ago. Every since I moved into house I noticed at some times there is an odor that seems to come out the ceiling ducts when the system is not running.

The odor seems to be strongest when the outside temperature is low. I also notice that the odor doesn稚 seem to come out the return grill only thru the ceiling vents.

Could I be smelling odor from the furnace vent being push into the duct system, can that happen? I know that mold can cause odors, but the problem I知 having seems to related to temperature and pressure in some kind a of way.

Just wondering if anybody else had ever had a similar problem. I know I知 going to probably have to end of having the whole duct system inspected. I知 just trying to get an idea of what could be wrong.

sanavox - check it out

oh yeah you could have dead animals such as rats/mice squirrils in the duct
    if oyu have duct board/flext duct they can chew through it

could be dampness as well could be standing water in the drain pan as well

suggest having a tech chech it out

sanavox makes a great line of odour killing uv lights for systems both residential and commercial too
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Quote Originally Posted by ron32 View Post

My house has a New Gas Furnace and New Evaporator coil, both were replace about 7 months ago. Every since I moved into house I noticed at some times there is an odor that seems to come out the ceiling ducts when the system is not running.

The odor seems to be strongest when the outside temperature is low. I also notice that the odor doesn稚 seem to come out the return grill only thru the ceiling vents.

Could I be smelling odor from the furnace vent being push into the duct system, can that happen? I know that mold can cause odors, but the problem I知 having seems to related to temperature and pressure in some kind a of way.

Just wondering if anybody else had ever had a similar problem. I know I知 going to probably have to end of having the whole duct system inspected. I知 just trying to get an idea of what could be wrong.
    I too have a heater duct oder and could not determine how to ask the question on the web site. Mine is urine smell caused by racoons invading the crawl space, ripping the ducts apart and nesting. Now, crawl space sealed and ducts repaired and cleaned for $1500. Urine smell is very bad and request any suggestions how to eliminate it sort of replacing the hot air ducts totally.

Dan B

Only thing I've seen work is replacement

Thought about that urine neautralizer advertised on TV. You would have to get it in the right spots though. And a lot of it