Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like they said, the reversing valve won't switch with out some refrigerant in it (that stupid lil solenoid doesn't do all of the work).

In American Standard they had some problems with a loud solenoid, the fix was pretty simple, and in almost all cases you didn't need a new one.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

I think the reversing vavle may be the least of your problems, that plug blew for a reason. It will be more cost effective to replace the unit.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Quote Originally Posted by tecman View Post
    Safety plug which blows out...I don't think so. There may be a high pressure cut off switch, but no blow out plug. If you lost refrigerant, you have a leak. It may be fixable, maybe not. As far a the reversing solenoid, what was already said is correct. It will likely hum when energized (usually for cooling) and it will get hot to the touch...normal.

Get another opinion.

paul
    Carrier uses Parker Suction Line Accumulators that have a 430* fuse plug. and I've seen them blow out..........by a ... Stuck Mid position Rev valve. down side is the system was left open for a long time ..........It may be wasted

A new Comfort series system will cost about 7 times what a reasonable estimate for replacement of the reversing valve (inc. new dryers, fuse, charge and labour); so cost effectiveness is relative.

In Quebec we have the lowest electric rates in all of North America - so better efficiency does not add up as it might in more costly energy conditions.

I've decided to try and save it if reasonably possible.

Guess that depends on the age, condition and efficiency of your existing system.

Point being

The compressor may have taken a hit, which may not show for a 6 months to a year, then you'll be faced with another choice. I believe the saying is "Good Money After Bad"

Your money, your system......................

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by kristoferb View Post
    What does your intuition say?

The tech who visited here had no idea and didn't seem interested in finding out. He just told us a salesman would come by tomorrow morning...
    internet diagnosis says blower motor failure, or old worn out fuse!

or a few other things, have a "qualified" hvac company check it out

Last edited by Airmechanical; 07-07-2007 at 10:22 AM.

I worked for a Carrier dealer for 13 years and I have found many fusable links melted. A unit low on refrigerant will cause the compressor to overheat especially on the 3 piece units because the compressor is sealed in the box. You need to have the plug replaced and the system leak tested than checked out to find the other problems you have.

The blower is original, but we've oiled it over the years and its going as we speak (no strange noises, vibrations, squirel cage keeps spining for 50-60 seconds after it's shut down).

I'm going to let him replace the dryers and pull a vacuum (see if it holds; if not, find the leak). I take it there is no way to test the reversing valve until it has a charge?

1. Replace liquid line filter dryers.
    2(a) Evacuate system to 500 microns.
    2(b) If vacuum does not hold, check for a leak and repair.
    3. Purge with dry Nitrogen and re-charge with R-22.
    4.Verify reversing valve.
    5. Verify TXV.

I don't see many Carriers, but the few I have worked on had no thermal plugs. I have never seen them on any other brand.

paul

Quote Originally Posted by kristoferb View Post
    It was a loud humming - unusually so. Even with the other AH running, we could hear it.

The reversing valve is energized when thermostat is in cooling mode, it does NOT have to be calling for cooling, if you turn thermostat off you should hear the reversing valve shift.WOOSH sound, if not then better have someone check out the system.

Thermostat
    wiring~Tstat-a/h-condenser
    reversing valve soliniod
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

[QUOTE=kristoferb;1545275]The blower is original, but we've oiled it over the years and its going as we speak (no strange noises, vibrations, squirel cage keeps spining for 50-60 seconds after it's shut down).

I'm going to let him replace the dryers and pull a vacuum (see if it holds; if not, find the leak). I take it there is no way to test the reversing valve until it has a charge?

You don't leak check by pulling a vacuum. You pressure test it, with nitrogen.

Nope, won't know about the RV until its charged and running. If it doesn't work, then you got alot more money to replace it yet.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I was under the impression, that if there was a leak, the low pres cut-off would have shut everything down before the fusible plug got hot enough to blow.

The lit for the 38SQ says it has Internal current and temp overload (automatic reset), Low-pressure switch located on suction line between reversing valve and accumulator (open 5 +/- 3 psig; close 20 +/- 5 psig), and a High-pressure relief valve located in compressor (450 +/- 50 psi).

Valve will not swicth over unless there is refrigerant in the system. If you do ever need to change that valve may god be with you, let us know I'll include you in our prayers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast