Ice machine sanitizing.

I did my first ice machine cleaning today, followed instructions to the TEE, was feeling really good about the entire thing until the end when it said to "allow sanitizer to dry". Is this for real? Something in my mind doesn't sit right with this. It seems intuitive to flush and rinse until your satisfied, then flush and rinse some more for good measure, but Manitowoc says to walk away!

Anyhow....... What would the difference be if you were to rinse it off vs leaving it to dry

I don't rinse off sanitizer. My last step of cleaning is to douse everything with (properly diluted) sanitizer from a quart sized spray bottle. Sanitizer isn't going to hurt anything.

I always threw the first harvest away. I used to have to do these at a large hospital. I washed the bins as if it was a dirty dish. Wash and rinse. Used the sanitizer on the evap and water paths. If there was black scum in tubing I washed those in the hot soapy bin water and rinse. Something about some elbow grease that made me feel better about sanitizing that just running a chemical around the system.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Quote Originally Posted by Asfyxiate View Post
    "allow sanitizer to dry". Is this for real? Something in my mind doesn't sit right with this.
    Yep. Don't get mad at me, but that's how every tableware you eat off of is sanitized at restaurants

See end of page 2:
    http://healthandwelfare.idaho.gov/Po...hapter%207.pdf

Anyhow....... What would the difference be if you were to rinse it off vs leaving it to dry
    See above. It would be back tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    Yep. Don't get mad at me, but that's how every tableware you eat off of is sanitized at restaurants

See end of page 2:

I appreciate the link. Some manufacturers say you can subsitute sanitizer for 5.25% solution sodium hypochlorite (household bleach). I most certainly wouldn't spray bleach on my tableware, air dry, than eat with it!! Haha.

ckartson, I too found it to be fullfilling using some muscle to clean the layers of mold that was clogging the distribution tube, I don't think I could just pour the cleaner in and let that be it. I mean I wouldn't want the ice in my drink to be coming from a machine that is cleaned that way at least.

Anything thanks for the input, I'll be sure to just stick with letting it dry and learn to walk away.

Why not? Bleach at that concentration won't hurt you if you drink it, much less if you drink a tiny residue left by drying. A lot of restaurants around here use dilute bleach to sanitize everything that is washed, and it is just air dried.

not worried about it being harmful. I realize it's used to sanitize water in pools and what not so it is safe. I'm in the mind set of taste and smell. But I suppose you're right in the fact that diluted wouldn't make a huge difference, much less if you toss the first batch.

I for one always rinse the sanitizer off, not because it's gonna hurt someone but we have had complaints about the taste of the ice after cleaning. If I don't rinse then the first 3 sheets or batches of ice get trashed.

Adam

Seems like I read somewhere that if you let the sanitizer dry, the effect and smell and taste of any residue from it has dissipated.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

You can drink the cleaner and you can drink the sanitizer.

Just not at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    You can drink the cleaner and you can drink the sanitizer.

Just not at the same time
    Yeah, you can drink the cleaner, but you can do it only ONCE

The Manitowoc instructor implied you could drink either of them multiple times. Or maybe I just inferred. Either way I consider it a challenge when somebody tells me I can only do something once! Even when it comes from the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post

See end of page 2:

Thanks for that link. They stated clearly no rinsing after sanitizing. I guess you can recontaminate. They also had a chart for temp and solution strength.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!