Thread: Chrysler Airtemp

Post Likes

Chrysler Airtemp

I just came across an old Airtemp in the basement of a local building that is being torn down. There is a 30 HP motor on it. The tags read
    Chrysler Airtemp M. 5-H S. 1747A45
    Radial Compressor M. 2005-2C 1423685-1 S. 93S0396

Does anyone have any info on date and refrigerant etc. I am considering pulling it out just because it is "neat" and a junk man was going to take it for scrap. I just have a thing for old stuff. Thanks, John

Post Likes

airtemp

it is just a compressor brother, you have to let go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I just came across an old Airtemp in the basement of a local building that is being torn down. There is a 30 HP motor on it. The tags read
    Chrysler Airtemp M. 5-H S. 1747A45
    Radial Compressor M. 2005-2C 1423685-1 S. 93S0396

Does anyone have any info on date and refrigerant etc. I am considering pulling it out just because it is "neat" and a junk man was going to take it for scrap. I just have a thing for old stuff. Thanks, John
    If you want another oldie I have a jobsite with an old Typhoon (Schnakie Grosso) 30 HP vintage 1948. Just waiting for someone to remove it from the mechanical room.

Post Likes
    I was hoping to get at least a date on it. It looks like an old radial engine from an airplane. It's just a shame to see the craftsmanship get trashed

Post Likes

Your are going to drop your nuts on the floor, let the scrap guy have his turn.

Your wife will thank you.
    I used to do the same insane thing, drag theses relics home, now days I pull the tags off and hang them on the work shop door, I have quite a few.
    I still bring home old tstats. Got some real old Honeywell clock type stats the ones you take off the wall and wind up. I used to save old steam gauges, got one from 1887.
    Now thinking about it I do save old controls too, really insane ones, I have a relay filled with mercury.

So who am I to give advice, sure drag the anchor home. I hope I die first just can't imagine getting rid of all this crap I have drug home over the years.

Any body want to buy some 14 hour time delay fuses from WW2, found them in a rental house I bought that was owned by an OSS agent.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I was hoping to get at least a date on it. It looks like an old radial engine from an airplane. It's just a shame to see the craftsmanship get trashed
    Those old compressors were well made, & easy to rebuild on site, but they used a hell of a lot of iron to make those dinasaurs.
    If you take it home and you can get 3 phase to it they make excellent air compressors. I used an old 2 hp belt drive for 15 years as my air compressor in my shop, piped to a old 125# r-12 tank.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in