+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Same old crap, day in day out...

Post Likes

Same old crap, day in day out...

...and don't flame me for my old school gauges!
    0' superheat. That's ok, right?

What's superheat? It was beer can cold on the day I charged her to egg zactally 70 psi, dad blumit!

Sorry, I just get so tired of it sometimes. Any body else get customers who ask why you are taking refrigerant out instead of grabbing the magic green can and adding some "freezone/antifreeze"?

Post Likes
    Nevermind
    Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Post Likes
    Let it eat.

-JB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mr magu View Post
    Sorry, I just get so tired of it sometimes. Any body else get customers who ask why you are taking refrigerant out instead of grabbing the magic green can and adding some "freezone/antifreeze"?
    YES!

Roll up, find 0º SH and 30º SC.

Then you have to go into the whole explanation of why it is bad to have to much refrigerant, without being to technical.
    Invariably there is always something I tell them that directly contradicts something a previous "beer can cold" type "tech" told them, witch spawns another round of 20 questions.

The "best" ones are when you get there and they tell you their dad/uncle/brother/some close family member in the business has to add a couple pounds of refrigerant every couple of years, but couldn't make it this year...then you find the system overcharged by like 8 pounds and the evaporator coil and blower are filthy.

I love the ones that stand there watching saying things like, "Nobody else ever took all those readings."(in a tone that makes it sound like they think I am doing something unnecessary), or asking "What is the gauge supposed to read?".
    Last edited by mark beiser; 07-03-2007 at 11:04 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    YES!

Roll up, find 0º SH and 30º SC.

Then you have to go into the whole explanation of why it is bad to have to much refrigerant, without being to technical.....

LOL I was going to add that too. If I find something at ZERO Superheat I don't panic UNLESS it's got say 30 degrees of SubCool as well showing a gross overcharge.

Around here it seems that many people charge ONLY to superheat even if it's a TXV unit LOL! Yup. Trying to get the magic 5 degrees SuperHeat (that's the Phoenix area rule of thumb BTW breed by ChainSaw Charlie) with a TXV may never happen and next thing you know you have 30 degrees of SubCooling LOL! They don't know what SubCooling is.

Post Likes

So it's a nationwide epedemic!

Quote Originally Posted by PaysonHVAC View Post
    LOL I was going to add that too. If I find something at ZERO Superheat I don't panic UNLESS it's got say 30 degrees of SubCool as well showing a gross overcharge.

Around here it seems that many people charge ONLY to superheat even if it's a TXV unit LOL! Yup. Trying to get the magic 5 degrees SuperHeat (that's the Phoenix area rule of thumb BTW breed by ChainSaw Charlie) with a TXV may never happen and next thing you know you have 30 degrees of SubCooling LOL! They don't know what SubCooling is.
    Guys out here like to charge old school-do you remeber the rule?
    This is a test, this is only a test...
    See, I find it funny that when a unit has a TXV (these days, all newer equipment, it's the norm, not the exception) guys are still charging to the magic "65-70 lo, 30 over ambient hi" crap that was always wrong to begin with. I reread my post, and it sounds like I was whining. Yesterday was the fifth time in the last two weeks I found the same old thing.

"The "best" ones are when you get there and they tell you their dad/uncle/brother/some close family member in the business has to add a couple pounds of refrigerant every couple of years, but couldn't make it this year...then you find the system overcharged by like 8 pounds and the evaporator coil and blower are filthy.

I love the ones that stand there watching saying things like, "Nobody else ever took all those readings."(in a tone that makes it sound like they think I am doing something unnecessary), or asking "What is the gauge supposed to read?".

I get this every time. Like I came to do a PM and I'm looking for ways to generate revenue. Give me a break. Speaking of dirty coils, check out the other post I put up today. It's a real mind blower.
    Last edited by mr magu; 07-04-2007 at 02:56 AM. Reason: add hypertext

Post Likes
    wait isnt it beer can cold and piss warm i think that everyone forgets about the piss warm

Post Likes
    I like the one where they tell you the system is not cooling and nobody has touched the system in years. I do some checking and find what u find and a dirty coil, the filter has never been changed. A couple hours later when I am giving the customer the bill talking to them it comes out, so and so came out and added 22 since coil was freezing up.

Post Likes
    i would be rich if i had a dollar every time a tech. ask me to help diagnose a refrigerant problem with just pressure readings, and i ask what your super heat and subcooling.

Post Likes
    I realy used to like the folks who would say, "my frezone is wore out, I need some new frezone in it. " "The last guy that looked at it told me the frezone was wearing out and I need some new frezone" " Or... "My uncle Joe said I needed some more gas, He used to put a couple of pounds in it for me, but he passed away and I figured I call you guys to put some new frezone in it."
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Post Likes
    I thought the rule was , charge your suction pressure to whatever the temprature outside is, ex:if its 85 degrees charge to 85 suction, if its 110 degrees, charge to 110 suction.

TXV valve, WTF is that, is that like a special valve in the compressor.

Oh ! sorry just reading from the HVAC book of Apt. maintenance Tech 101.

Oh ya! hey if you dont have a capacitor clamp handy, just send a 4" sheet metal screw through the cap and secure it to the cabinet. Oh Geez!! why does the breaker trip all the time now, must be a bad compressor.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=mr magu;1539645]...and don't flame me for my old school gauges!

Flamer?
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Post Likes
    just keep adding the freezon until everything sweats up really good.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by absolute air View Post
    just keep adding the freezon until everything sweats up really good.
    I thought it was until there is about a silver dollar size ring of sweat on the compressor shell around the suction line...

At least thats what some old fart redneck AC teknishun told me once in a supply house years ago!

Post Likes

Cool A thing of the passed, we'll miss those days.

The Beer Can method has been around a long time and worked great in a pinch. But, with new technoligy, it will not pass. We need to know when to use a SH or SC reading and use it affectivly. The equiptment today is just so presice and delicate. They don't build them like they used to. WTF

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in