house cooling problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

house cooling problem

I would like to get your professional opinions on how to solve this problem of mine. I have a house where the upstairs gets much hotter than the downstairs in the summer time. The insulation is ok in the house as is the weather stripping. The ac unit in the house is rated to cool the house also. I am guessing it is the ductwork that is messed up. Do you think that if I had some in-line booster fans installed on the ducts that go to the upstairs that it would solve the problem. I should also mention that I have tried to close registers located downstairs but the ac freezes up on me when I do that. Thanks

You need mechanical zoning...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 951Michael View Post
    I would like to get your professional opinions on how to solve this problem of mine. I have a house where the upstairs gets much hotter than the downstairs in the summer time. I should also mention that I have tried to close registers located downstairs but the ac freezes up on me when I do that. Thanks

closing register does nothing more then make that room hot, the ducts going upstairs are limited in size, you will only see a small % gain upstairs by doing this, it is a real issue with some on this site.

upstairs and downstairs with (1) unit means you will never be great. there are zoning systems or seperate units for each floor is the correct way.

since you cant spend that kind of dough, verify a good 18-20 degree split between supply and return registers with a digital thermometer
    (must run for 10 minutes first), keeep your filter clean and have a tech service you unit before summer starts to make sure it is doing its best.

check for broken / disconected ducts, this does happen especially when the cable guy is crawling around in there breaking stuff.

matt

Sometimes closing off vents does the trick, other times it does bad things to your system. You are not one of the lucky ones.

We would need to know a lot more about your duct distribution system to be able to make suggestions.

Are there any return grills on the second floor?

Are the ducts to the second floor accesable from the basement?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by Mstrav View Post
    closing register does nothing more then make that room hot, the ducts going upstairs are limited in size, you will only see a small % gain upstairs by doing this, it is a real issue with some on this site.

upstairs and downstairs with (1) unit means you will never be great. there are zoning systems or seperate units for each floor is the correct way.

since you cant spend that kind of dough, verify a good 18-20 degree split between supply and return registers with a digital thermometer
    (must run for 10 minutes first), keeep your filter clean and have a tech service you unit before summer starts to make sure it is doing its best.

check for broken / disconected ducts, this does happen especially when the cable guy is crawling around in there breaking stuff.

matt
    Maybe I'm missing something in the OP, but;

How do you know what the duct sizing to the upstairs is?

How do you know the OP cannot afford zoning?

What makes you think the ducting is where the cable guy would crawl, and where is it you think the ducting is?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Ya, it is an old house. In fact the ac unit was installed after the fact. Ducts are all running along the ceiling of first floor with a wall built around them so I have no access to them. As far as holes or leaks are concerned perhaps I could have a guy come out and pressure check it. That is what you do right, pressure check it.

There are return grills on the second floor. Considering this is an old house I would imaging having mechanical zoning installed would mean major surgery.

verify a good 18-20 degree split between supply and return registers with a digital thermometer
    (must run for 10 minutes first),
    Are you asking me for this information? If so what do I do in order to provide it.

I just heard someone speak of booster fans so thought maybe that might be what I needed. Guess not though? Thanks for helping.

heat goes up

house cooling

Hey how far does heat go up?

So my three options to fix are Mechanical zoning, mechanical zoning, or mechanical zoning. Drat. I hate these options. Isn't there anything else that could be done? Thanks

look on the bright side
    xmas is more than 1/2 way here
    sorry
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Have you tried turning the thermostat to the fan on position? That should help some.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Sometimes closing off vents does the trick, other times it does bad things to your system. You are not one of the lucky ones.

We would need to know a lot more about your duct distribution system to be able to make suggestions.

Are there any return grills on the second floor?

Are the ducts to the second floor accesable from the basement?
    i have been waiting for the two key quetions here
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

comfort

Heat rises, cold air falls, and it soulnd like your house was built before they put a/c in new homes - the way I explain your problem to my customers is this:

" Your house is the same square footage upstairs and down, so common sense tells you that both floors need the same ammount of airflow up and down, doesn't it?
    WRONG!
    In winter you need 70% of your heat downstairs, because heat rises to the second floor. In the summer, however, cold air falls, so you need 65% of your cooling upstairs, so we need to make this happen somehow."

Bottom line is this: your family live in this house 24/7, and you need to decide how important it is to have exceptional home comfort - it is YOUR choice how comfortablel you want it upstairs. Your house is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars now, and dont you think it is worth less than 5% of this value to make it so much more enjoyable to you and your family?

Options:
    1) turn house upside down in summer (very bad for furniture)
    2) buldoze it and start over from scratch
    3) window units upstairs (buy earplugs to sleep with)
    4) seperate the duct systems into adjustable zones
    5) seperate system for upstaits
    6) sell the house and buy one with 2 zones already there

Like anything else, you have to decide exactly how much value you place on this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast