+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air Conditioning = FAT

Post Likes

Air Conditioning = FAT

Air conditioning may be making you fat
    Posted: Jun 26th 2007 12:15PM by Tanya Ryno
    Filed under: General Health, Health and Technology, Healthy Home

It turns out that all that energy we use to heat and cool our house is energy that we aren't using to heat and cool our bodies; and it's making us fatter. A recent report published in the International Journal of Obesity shows that weight problems are just as likely to be caused by air conditioning, lack of sleep, a decrease in the number of smokers (smoking suppresses appetite), new medicines and other environmental causes.

That's right, being hot or cool is somewhat uncomfortable and stressful for our bodies which, in turn, increases or decreases our body temperature ... and burns calories. The extremes, of course, produce shivering and sweating, but milder energy use occurs as well as we move above or below 72 degrees.

That's not to say that diet and exercise aren't important, it just means that there is evidence linking obesity to other equally plausible factors in our advancing society -- and more research still needs to be done.

This shoulde help with the summer a/c work load!!!

matt

Post Likes
    Ma'am...the good news is, its only a run cap that is bad...can be fixed easily....the bad news....you weigh 300 pounds and I ain't gonna fix it

Post Likes
    Well when people weigh 300 pounds just think how important the AC tech is in keeping this person from suffocating on their own blubber

Post Likes
    the article claims the A/C is causing the problem. I say--- if it caused it , it can fix it too. from now on i will recommend all overweight customers turn their A/C to 55 to help them lose weight by shivering. that should increase the number of service calls.

Post Likes
    this explains the disproportionate number of fat cleanroom personnel at the plant...

Post Likes
    Yeah I agree with your comment Air condition is a big cause of fat. I cut my 6 kg weight by the turn off my AC. Fat is a very harmful for your health.

Post Likes
    Giving people money for nothing make dem fat...faces of walmart.com
    Bob O. 84,Pa.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstrav View Post
    Air conditioning may be making you fat
    Posted: Jun 26th 2007 12:15PM by Tanya Ryno
    Filed under: General Health, Health and Technology, Healthy Home

It turns out that all that energy we use to heat and cool our house is energy that we aren't using to heat and cool our bodies; and it's making us fatter. A recent report published in the International Journal of Obesity shows that weight problems are just as likely to be caused by air conditioning, lack of sleep, a decrease in the number of smokers (smoking suppresses appetite), new medicines and other environmental causes.

That's right, being hot or cool is somewhat uncomfortable and stressful for our bodies which, in turn, increases or decreases our body temperature ... and burns calories. The extremes, of course, produce shivering and sweating, but milder energy use occurs as well as we move above or below 72 degrees.

That's not to say that diet and exercise aren't important, it just means that there is evidence linking obesity to other equally plausible factors in our advancing society -- and more research still needs to be done.

This shoulde help with the summer a/c work load!!!

matt
    LIsten, Ive been saying it for years, My Dad never had A/C his whole life and used wood stove/heater for heat and in 2000 I installed a Gas Pack for him and my Mom and he got huge! went from around 200lbs to over 375!He sat down in front of TV and swelled up watching his beloved Atlanta Bravs baseball and TCM classic movies and got and stayed fat untill his death. Before the A/C he was active all day during summer getting firewood ready,gerden ect. and winter was spent keepin woodstove fed. Wood does get you warm twice, by the way having to cut and chop wood to keep warm growing up is what motivated me into HVAC and hopefully ill only have to manipulate the T-STAT from now on and never an axe again to keep warm.Besides there are better uses for them, ask any fireman.

Post Likes
    i KNEW there was a reason!

Post Likes
    Sounds retarded to me...
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Post Likes
    I can see the commercial now "hey honey does this air conditioner make my butt look big?"

Post Likes
    Overweight or obesity is caused by a confluence of factors. Genetics, high calorie diet (note I did not say high fat), lack of exercise, a culture where manual labor is avoided at all costs.

Me? No mistake I like to watch football, basketball, etc. But I don't spend a lot of time doing it. Give me a hoop and a basketball and I'd rather be out in the yard sinking buckets than spending three hours or so swilling beer and chips while rooting for my favorite team. And lately, since my hometown football team is in the crapper, I've been able to get more stuff done around the house (and I mean projects involving labor, such as hanging storm doors, trimming out a pocket door, etc.), three hours or so not lost via watching our current crop of losers on Sunday. Now when they start having good seasons again...different story!
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    yeah, using A/C is only one of the smaller reasons people cant control their weight....

IMO it has more to do w/ lack of exercise, fast food (most of it, although some are giving healthier options but its still more expensive than the rest of the menu), and all the additives in food like high fructose corn syrup... which really screws with your metabolism and insulin resistance.

everyones always looking for the culprit of obesity.... when all they would need to do is stop eating processed foods and start exercising!!! its actually really simple :-p

Post Likes
    I started gaining weight when I entered the a/c field. I drive all over town trying new restaurants and have the money to keep trying them day after day!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in