Reliatel controls issue

Have a Trane Model YHC 102A4RLA2GD0B/Serial 638100715l with reliatel controls on a tracker system with a 3 wire zone sensor. Tracker showing -67 degrees space temp and the cool not operating. Check all the voltages and ohm out sensors(before reseting power) and all reading normal. Redo connect at sensor and at board still show same room temp. Reset main power and unit reads properly and unit runs. Have had this happen on another location for this customer where room temp showed 200 degress and over cooled the area. We changed out the board and room sensor and it happened again a month later. Called trane rep no help. Any one run into this Trane says never heard of this before. Would like to find the real issue

I'm thinking that this is an error in the ( com3 ? I have a hard time with Trane ) board in the RTU or the wiring between the Tracker and the RTU. I may be wrong but I'm thinking that this connection should be the low capacitence Trane " Purple " wire ? This is just a wild ass guess , I've installed alot of these and have never had any issues. Are you using good wire on these jobs ?

Older job sites installed by others, wiring looks great and no issues with other 10 units at each site. I assume the tracker system is used to report and send set points to the onboard controller.

This has nothing to do with the Tracker. Replace the economizer board and motor. I have been through this before, cycle power and it's good for a little while and then happens again. There was an issue that showed up on a run of economizers (I think somewhere in 09-10) that causes the Reliatel system to show an open zone sensor. I know it doesn't make sense seeing that the zone sensor is connected to the RTRM, but I've tested it by swapping parts with an identical unit on the same roof and found the problem moved with the economizer motor/board. Trane is no longer using honeywell for these parts. The new economizer boards/motors are gray and the gray boards do not always work well with the old black motors and it recommended to replace them as a set. A zone sensor that shows a closed sensor (like 200℉) with good sensor and wiring typically is the RTRM board.

Good info bwood. Never heard of this before.
    I have seen the problem with phantom sensor alarms where the Tracker will show an alarm for a sensor that does not exist. That will keep you thinking for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    This has nothing to do with the Tracker. Replace the economizer board and motor. I have been through this before, cycle power and it's good for a little while and then happens again. There was an issue that showed up on a run of economizers (I think somewhere in 09-10) that causes the Reliatel system to show an open zone sensor. I know it doesn't make sense seeing that the zone sensor is connected to the RTRM, but I've tested it by swapping parts with an identical unit on the same roof and found the problem moved with the economizer motor/board. Trane is no longer using honeywell for these parts. The new economizer boards/motors are gray and the gray boards do not always work well with the old black motors and it recommended to replace them as a set. A zone sensor that shows a closed sensor (like 200℉) with good sensor and wiring typically is the RTRM board.
    Will give it a try, but out of coursity how did you find this as the issue?

We had a customer site where this kept happening on the same unit. There had been about 7 different techs out for the same thing, everything checks out and cycle power, everything is back to normal, or they turned the unit off because of the over heating and when you power it up, all is good. I had an identical unit on the roof, so at first I swapped the RTRM and waited. About a month later, same call, -40 and overheating. So I swapped the RTRM back and swapped the econo boards and waited. About 2 weeks later, same issue on the other unit. I put the econo boards back in the original place and replaced the failed board and the original motor due to the design change. I was able to talk to a friend and he was able to confirm that this was an issue with tech support. It has been 2 years and no issues on these units.

Phantom sensors on Tracker panel are mainly due to the Tracker programming/design. They are set up to show any pertinent sensors that may be on the unit but are not always installed (like supply air temp on rooftops, this is an option on most). There will be ??? For missing sensors and you can't get them off the screen and customers don't always understand.

I need to also state that everytime I have had this issue, the reading is -40 (in rover, on the summmit system or tracker), and this is also what their tech support noted. -67 could actually be the RTRM, do you have another on on the roof you can swapp with (make sure they are same). Does the value change?