CCN Network Service Tool "Unable to Validate Product Key"

Just got a new service tool (V2.2) and installed on XP laptop. (part# 33CNNSTKIT-01)
    Installed per instructions but get "Unable to Validate Product Key" when connecting to bus.
    I tried another persons service tool using my laptop and was able to successfully connect so I'm assuming the software and drivers are installed correctly.
    Is there some secret trick to initializing the adapter the first time or did I just get a bad egg?

Any insight is appreciated.

thanks

Did you read the instructions before installing? I seem to remember some mention of not connecting the adapter until the software is installed, or some variation of that. You might have to uninstall and re-install in the correct order.

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    Did you read the instructions before installing? I seem to remember some mention of not connecting the adapter until the software is installed, or some variation of that. You might have to uninstall and re-install in the correct order.
    I read that, pretty sure I followed exactly. Uninstalled re-installed a few times still no go.

I'll try again.
    Does anyone know if the adapter will be recognized if not connected to the bus?

Thanks

Did you try and take your new Service Tool 5 and see if it will work on the persons machine from whom you borrowed the other Service Tool 5 Adapter? I would try that and see if your new Service Tool works. You may have a defective product out of the box.

The adapter should be able to be recogonized if it is not connected to CCN. The USB does need to be connected to your computer.

As a note, XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and as such, this product cannot be supported on the XP platform. I am not saying it wont work just that it is not technically supported.

Quote Originally Posted by BAS Solutions View Post
    Did you try and take your new Service Tool 5 and see if it will work on the persons machine from whom you borrowed the other Service Tool 5 Adapter? I would try that and see if your new Service Tool works. You may have a defective product out of the box.

The adapter should be able to be recogonized if it is not connected to CCN. The USB does need to be connected to your computer.

As a note, XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and as such, this product cannot be supported on the XP platform. I am not saying it wont work just that it is not technically supported.
    NSTV works on XP, we have it running on several XP laptops at our office. AFAIK only Windows 8 is an issue with NSTV.

Sound like you have a defective adapter. As 381 suggested, try the adapter on a working installation to see if it is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Quote Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
    NSTV works on XP, we have it running on several XP laptops at our office. AFAIK only Windows 8 is an issue with NSTV.

Sound like you have a defective adapter. As 381 suggested, try the adapter on a working installation to see if it is good.
    Unfortunately I didn't think of trying on the other guys PC. (Duh...)

But it's looking like a bad adapter, Ive tried installing on other PC's with the same result which really sucks cause it was a real PIA to get the thing in the first place.

Thanks

Plug in the USB to rs adapter and check under ur device manager and see if it is listed under USB devices

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyr325 View Post
    Plug in the USB to rs adapter and check under ur device manager and see if it is listed under USB devices
    Yup, it's there.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 381engineer View Post
    Yup, it's there.thanks
    Was it there or in the sub section of unknown drivers that is where I have seen them numbererous of time there thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyr325 View Post
    Was it there or in the sub section of unknown drivers that is where I have seen them numbererous of time there thanks
    Its the first device listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    Listed as CCN Converter
    It also shows up under Ports
    CCN Port (COM8)

Plug it in and the status light flashes about every two seconds and the error light is flashes about every one second. Not connected to the bus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 381engineer View Post
    Its the first device listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    Listed as CCN Converter
    It also shows up under Ports
    CCN Port (COM8)

Plug it in and the status light flashes about every two seconds and the error light is flashes about every one second. Not connected to the bus.

Thanks
    Should really not be an issue, but did you try to switch the com port to (com1 or com2) in the device manager/ ports (com & lpt) ? This has given me issues with many different software, so I always have to switch that. With that said, we had a problem with one laptop with another software to hardware adapter.....reason was that the drivers were only good for usb2 and not usb3. Is this a newer laptop you are using?
    " Good labor is not cheap and cheap labor is not good." MN

UA Local 9

Quote Originally Posted by hvacpilot View Post
    Should really not be an issue, but did you try to switch the com port to (com1 or com2) in the device manager/ ports (com & lpt) ? This has given me issues with many different software, so I always have to switch that. With that said, we had a problem with one laptop with another software to hardware adapter.....reason was that the drivers were only good for usb2 and not usb3. Is this a newer laptop you are using?
    It apparently pics the port number automatically. I plugged into different ports and the port number changed each time.
    That being said I was able to try again with a know good device.
    We successfully connected to the bus and saw all devices using another laptop and different adapter then using my laptop and the other adapter I successfully connected and was able to scan the bus and load devices in the database, then reconnected my adapter and had no connection.
    Tried my adapter on the other laptop and still no connection. Then reattached other adapter and connected right away.

Sounds like a bad adapter to me.

Sent an email to the distributor.

Wish me luck.