Jace 700 to Delta Bacnet ms/tp

Man, I'm just beating my head against the wall here.

I have a Delta 606, and I'm trying to communicate to it from the MSTP port on the Jace 700. It's licensed for Bacnet ms/tp, so I should be good to go.

The setup seems pretty straightforward, but I can't get them to talk at all.

For the Jace, I have the ms/tp port installed under the BacnetNetwork/network location, and am using the following settings :

Network Number 1001
    Port Name COM2
    Mstp Address 0
    Max master 127
    Max Info Frames 8

On the 606, I have the DNA jumper removed, and under the Bacnet Settings I have :

Max Master 127
    Max Info Frames 8
    MAC Address 2

Network 1001

As long as I have + / - correct on the ports, these things should talk, no?

Anything glaringly wrong that I'm doing? I can attach the 606 to a DCU-050, and see it via Bacnet/IP on the Jace through the DCU.

Not sure if it helps....

To configure a BACnet/MSTP port

BACnet MSTP is supported only with a station running on a QNX-based JACE controller.

You need to perform a few essential configuration items.

To configure a BACnet/MSTP port:

Expand the MstpPort in the property sheet view.

Set the Network Number from "-1" to the BACnet network number for the network segment to which you are connecting.

If an existing BACnet installation, make sure to use the same network number already in use.

If a new BACnet installation, you can choose this number (for example: 3).

Expand the Link component in the property sheet.

Under Link, perform the following configuration:

Set the Port Name to the RS-485 port to be used on the JACE. For example, if JACE with a dual RS-485 port option card, i.e. three total RS-485 ports), one of the following: COM3, COM4 or COM5.

Set the Mstp Address to a unique BACnet MAC address on that MSTP trunk, in decimal, with valid range from 0 (default) to 127. Each BACnet device on the MS/TP network segment must have a unique MAC address.

Typically, you leave the Mstp Address at 0 (the default), and verify that no other MS/TP device on the trunk is addressed the same. If there is ever a "lost token," the device with the lowest MAC address regenerates the token (and in this case it will be the station).

Set Max Master to the lowest known master device on the network, with possible room for expansion if needed. Also, the Max Info Frames property controls how many messages are sent before passing the token, and may be increased up to 50 to increase performance in some cases.

Click the Save button to save MstpPort changes.

Right-click the MstpPort (in property sheet or Nav side bar), and select Actions->Enable.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Thanks for the reply. I've been through most of those steps in the BACNet Install guide - I'm just curious now though, I thought the com port on the side of the Jace 700 was COM2. Reading this again, it seems it's COM3, with COM4 and COM5 coming from the option card. Anyone know for sure?

Doh - looks like this particular 700 isn't licensed for BACnet MSTP. Strange, the bacnet license is there, and it works for BACnet IP. Looking at the Tridium website, they're all one license, so it should work. When I enable the port, the fault showing Not Licensed For BACnet MSTP goes away, and the port shows an {ok} status.

Checking through the 700 documentation, the RS485 port is COM2.

Yup, and when I reboot the machine, it gives me the error : BACnet MSTP not licensed. Bah humbug. Looks like I'll have to pick up a IP / mstp gateway, they're probably cheaper / easier than the license for mstp.

Quote Originally Posted by naPS View Post
    Yup, and when I reboot the machine, it gives me the error : BACnet MSTP not licensed. Bah humbug. Looks like I'll have to pick up a IP / mstp gateway, they're probably cheaper / easier than the license for mstp.
    Lic would be cheaper I think
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

The license sets me back about 290 with our multiplier, I can get the Contemporary Controls gateway for 300. The gateway won't be tied to a single machine, so I think that's the way I'm going to head.

That license will allow for 4 MS/TP trunks....

Costs less, does more...
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

This is for my house - I'll have exactly 1 trunk with 3 devices on it.

You have a J7 for your house. Holy overkill.

That puppy would be on Ebay and I would be looking for a J2 or 6.

I would still roll with the license. That allows you to configure and manage the MSTP through a single interface. The interface on the CC router is a pile of poo compared to the Jace.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Yeah, that probably would be easier, actually - considering I could use the ndio modules instead of the nrio or mstp.

We do development strictly on the 7, so that's what we had laying around. I have a ton of XML I'm parsing with this thing from a couple of different devices, not sure how well a 2 or a 6 handles that, being single core and all. Might be interesting to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by naPS View Post
    This is for my house - I'll have exactly 1 trunk with 3 devices on it.
    Wow! Don't forget to take over your lawn sprinklers and integrate with the weather service then.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Wow! Don't forget to take over your lawn sprinklers and integrate with the weather service then.
    Heh, that's what the 606 was for. The 24v out is nice on those things for exactly that reason. I'm dropping a couple of delta t-stats in place of my normal stats, so that's the other two devices I'll be using.

Fun stuff!