Wireless Part II

Hello,

Well, I'v been told that wireless is a no no - but bluetooth is fine? So with that thinking, does anyone have good experenice with a product for connecting a laptop to a switch via bluetooth. Basically we have network access ports only in a couple of places in a mechanical room. From this, we can connect a bluetooth device and link it to our laptop which we can move around the HVAC unit for troubleshooting and commissioning.

Thanks

Your not going to gain much. Bluetooth is short range typically ~20-30'.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Good day Integrator,

You can get longer range BT devices (Class 1 device) that will transmit further... marketed at 100+ feet...but my experience has been about 50-60 feet in a normal office environment. That being said, given that the devices I was using have embedded Antennas, I was surprised I even achieved those distances.

The other issue I would consider is data rate. BT devices were really designed for lower bandwidth applications and it was not until the later versions that they upped the rate. However, one needs to look at the overall transfer rate and not just the published BT Data rate. Remember you would be going from Ethernet <-> BT <-> Air <-> BT<-> Ethernet and so each "hop" will consume time and therefore reduce the effective data rate.

Cheers,

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by s2sam View Post
    Good day Integrator,

You can get longer range BT devices (Class 1 device) that will transmit further... marketed at 100+ feet...but my experience has been about 50-60 feet in a normal office environment. That being said, given that the devices I was using have embedded Antennas, I was surprised I even achieved those distances.

The other issue I would consider is data rate. BT devices were really designed for lower bandwidth applications and it was not until the later versions that they upped the rate. However, one needs to look at the overall transfer rate and not just the published BT Data rate. Remember you would be going from Ethernet <-> BT <-> Air <-> BT<-> Ethernet and so each "hop" will consume time and therefore reduce the effective data rate.

Cheers,

Sam
    Thanks - what device did you use. As mention this is only used once in a while to troubleshoot or commission a system. But if it's too slow, that's no good either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by integrator View Post
    Thanks - what device did you use. As mention this is only used once in a while to troubleshoot or commission a system. But if it's too slow, that's no good either.

Thanks
    Good day Integrator,

In my case I was evaluating some BT modules for use in embedded applications (serial <-> BT) and not for networking... thus they could not be used for what you are looking to do.

Cheers,

Sam