Thread: Hearthman

Hearthman

Saw this the other day while unstoping the drain line on the AC. Customer asked if I worked on gas logs. I suggested she call the installer. The 3/8" line was about 10' long and I didn't even look at the logs. Should I send her a pic and suggest that the inspection department be contacted? Do you have some type of letter on hand that you use ? e-mail in profile if you do.

Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

that was "engineered" at a true value hardware store, guaranteed!!

is that AGA aproved? I need to look in my international fuel gas code book.

as far as leter, if you are submitting it to cover your but, do it on company letterhead and send it certified mail to the building dept and fire dept for that area. I would include the picture. I used to have to report rstaurants that would not keep up on their grease duct pm's in vegas, no pay or refuse to schedule instant letter to fire dept., fire dept would then send somone out next day, tags it with a 30 day comply or be shut down with proof and receipt or else the health, building and fire departments pull their ocupancy. Its a real nice tool for some of the bad oriental food restaurants that nothing is maintaned on, wok station set thehood on fire every other week.

matt

I don't run copper so excuse me.... but what exactly is wrong with that?

Cool Gas pipiing job

As far as notifications, I am usually hired by the client to be there anyway so I don't have to worry about sending unsolicited letters to the authorities. Just tread lightly there. If that is your function to be a building inspector and there is a hazard that is imminently dangerous, then you Red Tag it, shut it off, and notify the owner in writing. You are not the Flue Police. If you contact the building dept. adivising them of a hazard, it had better be a life threat such as leaking gas.

From the pic presented, I see a bushing used to reduce a diameter and bushings are not allowed by either gas code. The copper forms a loop, which, though not directly a code violation, does present the chance for forming a trap, which could adversely affect operation. As for sizing, we have no information to form an opinion on that. Since there is no shutoff at this location, there must be one at the fireplace accessible within 6ft. for IFGC; 4ft. UMC. I hope there isn't any pipe dope on that flare fitting.

I don't see an imminent threat to life here but things could have been done better.

Hearthman

Just something I noticed while there for the AC system. Just concerns me that people do improper work whether it's permits or inspected. Hope nobody breaks that line since there is no cut off in the basement, just the meter outside. They added the tee in the line on the bottom going to the water heater. The line going right is to the furnace and service is top going left. Just thought it was our responsibility as licensed contractor to advise homeowners of situations that could be dangerous. Not to call the officials.
    Thanks for your reply and guidance.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

I've seen so much worse than that. That looks like a 30 year old installation installed by one of those old propane techs, . As long as you was not their for that, and its not leaking, let it go.