+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Trane Centravac Overhaul

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by humbled daily View Post
    You know, after reading all the above stress, risks and worry time, makes me wonder why we choose this trade anyway.
    The only time I ever questioned getting into this trade was the one day I met "The Little Blue Man" in the basement equipment room of the American Securities Bank in downtown New Orleans. We had three crews of mechanics working at Loyola University, The Superdome as well as Tulane University.
    Work was laid out at the three job-sites and I stopped by the bank later that afternoon. On entering the bank one is impressed by the 12 ft high doors of polished brass and ornate glassworks, albeit several patches could be seen if on looked closely enough. An armed guard is stationed in the lobby entrance and I was directed "Downstairs" at least 20' to the equipment room where the Chief Engr. was waiting for me. The chiller was a Carrier compressor model 9 1/2 CZ built in 1928 (4 years before Freon was invented) and used Methylene-Cloride as refrigerant. Nasty-Nasty stuff and boils almost at water pressures as the condenser runs in a 22' vacuum.
    The Engineer told me where the chiller was and would not leave his office to direct me that "Late" in the day. As I left his office carrying my load of parts etc. he informed that the "Little Blue Man" would probably be there at any time.....I said cool...
    I found the Chiller and started doing my thing sitting astraddle the drive end taking the coupling apart, I saw a figure of a man walk behind a nearby column, I calmly said "How's it going" out loud to whomever...whatever it was....No response....I picked up my 12' crescent, thumbed the jaws closed for a more formidable weapon and slid off the compressor. No one in the room but me.. I went (Quickly) back to the Engineer's office and asked who was that little guy that...was in the room with me. There is but one way to the equipment room and I saw no one leave.. The Chief said "Ohh...That's the Little Blue man. He comes and goes as he pleases this late in the day" ... "And by the way.... He's a ghost"...Exit....Stage Left in my new rental Thunderbird!! I invited all the other guys to join me there the next evening (with pay)...to visit. The patches on the entrance doors, although very well done, were explained to us that is where guard(s) emptied their Browning Hi-Powers trying to stop the blue man. Only two other mechanics had the... will to meet me the next day... The both left within 5 minutes of being there. I finished the job during daylight "Only" and I understand that the Old Carriers have been replaced with Mcquay chillers. Several guards have just left their emptied Brownings, guard belts and badges after seeing.... something.
    Now keep in mind that except for a beer or two I do not drink or do drugs and since my encounter I have met a few other mechanic that have worked there and admit to seeing...... something.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Post Likes
    You have to love it though. It's kind of like performing surgery. You have half your truck laid out in the mechanical room like a surgeon's table. Planning your rigging is like a preoperative. When all is ready you open her up and go to work, paying attention to every detail. We have guys who like to fly through them but I enjoy taking a little more time and being thorough. It makes it much easier to push that button when you know everything was done the best you could possibly do it. And when it starts up and purrs like a kitten, that's a great feeling. Going back 6 months or a year later and it's tight as can be. I would imagine a surgeon gets the same satisfaction stitching someone up and seeing them walk out of the hospital. I know it is a whole different level, but we do wash our hands as often.

Post Likes
    Do we get to count absorber overhauls in the total number? that would get me in the 150-200 overhauls range. not a failure yet.
    Last year, 7- absorbers,1- 19EA,1- CVHE500,1-bearing insp.on 5500t 17DA86,1- 19DR,2- 19DKs.
    Way past the point of enjoying the work, I do enjoy showing others how to do it though.
    To the OP, the CVHE itself is not that hard, but make sure you have the tools first, mainly the rigging needed and the bearing tool to properly seat the back bearings.

Post Likes
    Nothing is better than the feeling you get after transition and no weird noise.

Post Likes
    As everyone has said seems stressful. But the reward in the end seems to offset it. Really would like to learn chillers and do overhauls. Got a lot to learn first though lol

Post Likes
    waking up 3 in the morning and wondering why ? figures out it's the tear down I'm doing as a lead for the first time . I hope after a few more under my belt i can sleep better . i choose this trade because i really like what i do . the customers ,the pride in correcting problems . and the pay and benefits .I love my job ,but i love vacation's better .

Post Likes

Trane centravac.

Quote Originally Posted by RACMT View Post
    I have two 400 ton Trane Centravac Chillers, I have all the maintenance manuals and break down manuals, with pressure readings. This system was installed in the late 50s early 60s. Do you think this will help? I would have to scan them as the manuals are old school but very in depth.
    Would you happen to have any manuals on a Trane cetravac sidewinder. Model # K-MF3-MV2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Healey Nut View Post
    I have another Trane chiller horror story about guys trying to overhaul chiller when they dont know the ins and outs of how they go together .
    Anyways manufacturing plant has an old Sidewinder (PCV for the non chiller types) motor fails Trane is called and condems the motor . Price is given to customer for overhaul , Customer says you gotta be freaking kidding thats way to expensive we will have our Millwrights etc do the job .
    Couple of days later Trane is called to go have a look see at the job and give some "direction" as to how the chiller comes apart . Tech Arrives at site to find the on site staff have removed the charge (dont ask how) removed electrical and terminal box motor connections and removed the motor housing bolts . They now have a gas powered fork lift hooked up to the rear of the chiller and are trying to yank the motor out the back end of the chiller without first going in the front to remove shaft locknut vanes , seals , diffusers impellers etc . Apparently there were black tire marks on the plant floor where the fork lift had made numerous "Yank" attemps at the motor . Needless to say when the Trane tech stopped them and they finally took the chiller apart is was trashed inside bent the main separation plate that separates the stages (anyone whos done a PCV knows how sturdy and thick they are ) impellers , seals , vanes etc all trashed .
    Chiller went to the dump I believe in the end .

Moral of the story is " Sometimes you need to stand back and let the guys who know how to do it get on with it " Watch learn and ask questions .
    I'm kind of getting pushed into a similar situation here. I have started to work on chillers off and on since last year. I still have a lot to learn. I have been to a Trane RTAC chiller training in Wisconsin, but still haven't had that much experienced hands on. My company is a very small company. My boss and nobody else in my company has ever done an overhaul on a chiller. My boss said that he is planning on bidding an overhaul job and that he would send me to a training course. He said I should be fine after going to the training. I believe even after going to a week training course or how ever long it is, that you should still have an experience mechanic there to lead the job.

Post Likes
    Your boss is setting you up to fail and there's a very high probability for him to lose his ass on a job like that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chillrdude View Post
    Your boss is setting you up to fail and there's a very high probability for him to lose his ass on a job like that.
    I don't know how to approach the situation. I felt like telling him even after he sends me to training that I would need somebody with experience to be there to lead the job. Before I could tell him that he said "even a monkey could do this". So now it's almost like he's trying to tell me that after that training I shouldn't have room to mess up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SanchezHVAC View Post
    I don't know how to approach the situation. I felt like telling him even after he sends me to training that I would need somebody with experience to be there to lead the job. Before I could tell him that he said "even a monkey could do this". So now it's almost like he's trying to tell me that after that training I shouldn't have room to mess up.
    Start looking for a new job. He will go broke trying to fix it (I would hope it goes well for you) or he (or you) will have a ruined reputation. Either way, you will be looking for a new job. Unfortunately, if what you are saying is true, save yourself.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    I'm kind of getting pushed into a similar situation here. I have started to work on chillers off and on since last year. I still have a lot to learn. I have been to a Trane RTAC chiller training in Wisconsin, but still haven't had that much experienced hands on. My company is a very small company. My boss and nobody else in my company has ever done an overhaul on a chiller. My boss said that he is planning on bidding an overhaul job and that he would send me to a training course. He said I should be fine after going to the training. I believe even after going to a week training course or how ever long it is, that you should still have an experience mechanic there to lead the job.
    I think you are going to be fine, tell your boss to send you to the Entech training in Garland TX, there isnt really much to overhauls, lot of bull work in my opinion.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    I think you are going to be fine, tell your boss to send you to the Entech training in Garland TX, there isnt really much to overhauls, lot of bull work in my opinion.
    What is that training consist of?

Post Likes
    What is that training consist of?
    About 25% classroom and 75% hands on, they give you the overhaul manuals with step by step instructions and you get to do one overhaul or two.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    hi fella i have the parts list and loads of information on this chiller email me on allen.steve186@googlemail.com

Post Likes

is there any substitute controller available for trane chiller model CVAD 27

hi,
    i have trane old model chiller model CVAD 27,which is controller not working good,the issue is star delta starter,star is working while going to delta shorting the 3 phase line,i have check the panel,i could understand is that,main contactor is on with start contactor after while main contactor off and on,that why its getting short, looking solution

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in