Technical Mold Information

http://www.wnyc.org/flashpop.html?pl...2Fxspf%2F81163
    Current concepts from one point of view. TB

Teddy Bear I have meet Dr Strous a few times here in Lubbock. That is the most informative post on mold I have ever herd or read. Thank you for finding it.

That was a good link teddy, that Dr Strouss was worth listening to. One thing I picked up on is the fact that we now build out of paper-- very true.

Get the paper wet and get mold. What I was anxiously awaiting to hear but did not notice was an RH level in the air causing mold.

As far as Industrial Hygenists go, as observed with the other guest and those phoning in, I think you would have a hard time getting 5 of them to agree on what to order as pizza toppings

You snag that link from IEQ?, noticed you posting there
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Thanks that makes a lot of sense from things I have seen in the past.

Yes, this is a very informative discussion. Thank you.

Thanks, TB, good program. Dr. Strauss makes a lot of sense and his comments are totally fact based. Everyone should listen to his remarks to avoid some of the mold hysteria that we are currently seeing.

The take away points are 1. mold is clearly an allergen and can lead to the development of asthma and 2. while mold can produce mycotoxins there is no clear evidence supporting the link between the level of exposure to the mycotoxins created by the mold and human disease. Possibly when we know more about thresholds in humans a link can be scientifically proven.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    That was a good link teddy, that Dr Strouss was worth listening to. One thing I picked up on is the fact that we now build out of paper-- very true.

Get the paper wet and get mold. What I was anxiously awaiting to hear but did not notice was an RH level in the air causing mold.

As far as Industrial Hygenists go, as observed with the other guest and those phoning in, I think you would have a hard time getting 5 of them to agree on what to order as pizza toppings

You snag that link from IEQ?, noticed you posting there
    Yes & yes, also noticed you. Good points. Any organic material is mold food including even a thin layer of dust. Mold will grow on damp pane of glass that is wet every day from condensation. The health professionals are missing concern about near condensation in most buildings throughout the year. They beleive that there must be a water leak to have a problem. TB

Quote Originally Posted by breathe easy View Post

The take away points are 1. mold is clearly an allergen and can lead to the development of asthma and 2. while mold can produce mycotoxins there is no clear evidence supporting the link between the level of exposure to the mycotoxins created by the mold and human disease. Possibly when we know more about thresholds in humans a link can be scientifically proven.
    3. The general "mold testing" by inspectors detects only the presence of mold spores and not micro-toxins.

4. The only lab in the country capable of analyzing the micro-toxins and there effects to humans is not being funded?

Not trying to add to any hysteria. I would like to know more. It sounds like an in home mold test of the air you breath could show low levels of mold but not the large amount of odorless micro-toxins that could be present.

On the contrary there are on-going studies on the health effects of mold - including the elusive mycotoxins. There is some more good data on the association between dampness and mold and allergies and asthma. See http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/...mold-risk.html

What researchers have found in the carefully controlled studes is that there is just not enough mycotoxin created to cause the problems claimed. It is the "odorless, colorless, undetectable" threat that does add to the hysteria. for example, how could you have high levels of mycotoxins and low levels of mold? The mold creates the mycotoxins.

The most important fact to remember is that the human body has excellent natural defenses from the negative effects of mold. Mold is in every breath that we breathe. Even the associations between mold and asthma mentioned above are a result of the immune system being too effective rather than the contrary.

For a good review of the medical community view on mold and human health see:
    www.acaai.org/public/NR/Fungal.htm

This is from the American College of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology and provides information from leaders in the field.
    Last edited by breathe easy; 08-15-2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling

This is a most informative thread.