Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    California/Nevada
    Posts
    3,607

    gotta love public broadcasting

    "educational television"

    you send donations to public broadcasting , so you can send a bunch of liberals to travel the world and be on permenent vacation.


    if your lucky they send back video footage of the places they visit, with their little political views thrown in.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    4,917
    Well, considering that nearly all PBS programs are funded by viewers and underwriting by corporate contributions, why are you concerned by what they do with the money they collect?


    You aparently don't watch too much PBS, do you? Because if you did, you might notice that there are plenty more programs other than "liberal travel shows"...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,484
    Quote Originally Posted by oloenneker View Post
    Well, considering that nearly all PBS programs are funded by viewers and underwriting by corporate contributions, why are you concerned by what they do with the money they collect?


    You aparently don't watch too much PBS, do you? Because if you did, you might notice that there are plenty more programs other than "liberal travel shows"...
    Correction there Ole, PBS has a good part of it's funds from the federal goverment. Congress tried to cut it off several years ago while Genrich was in charge but the commie dems and the liberal Republicans killed it. If it was all private funding then I wouldn't care if they glorified Karl Marx and Cuba everyday but that is not the case. Our tax dollars should not go to an anti American group like that.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    4,917
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac8 View Post
    Correction there Ole, PBS has a good part of it's funds from the federal goverment. Congress tried to cut it off several years ago while Genrich was in charge but the commie dems and the liberal Republicans killed it. If it was all private funding then I wouldn't care if they glorified Karl Marx and Cuba everyday but that is not the case. Our tax dollars should not go to an anti American group like that.

    Actually, Glenn, The bill went through, and for quite a while, PBS and NPR had Zero fed funding.

    But, lets get real here. Majority of the funding of PBS is indeed from viewers and corrp. contributions. Very little of it is federally funded.

    I would like to actually see a breakdown of where their funding comes from. We might both be suprised.

    And, I do watch quite a bit of PBS and listen to a fair share of NPR programming, and I must say, I don't think they are as liberal as people like to claim. They do seem to promote programming that their listeners and viewers demand. And they demand it via contributions of money. Money talks, and you know what walks...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    5,473
    The guy that took over NPR about I think 10 months ago (could be wrong) is a die hard conservative. Look it up.

    What's also interesting, he wanted a more balanced station. Now it seems if a liberal wants a more balanced air waves the conservatives scream "Liberals want to kill talk radio!" Get real


    Maybe it will dawn on station owners that liberals spend just as much on advertised products as anyone else. I think our air waves should be balanced and I don't know what the righties are afraid of.
    Tracers work both ways.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    620
    PBS has a good bit of very entertaining shows including what I would call neutral stuff such as their Arts programming.

    I think they are worth the occasional donation, especially if it means little or no commercials.

    The BBC stuff is pretty good as well, and I have noticed that a "liberal" Brit can have some rather "conservative" American views.
    "Iron sharpeneth iron..."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,910
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    The guy that took over NPR about I think 10 months ago (could be wrong) is a die hard conservative. Look it up.

    What's also interesting, he wanted a more balanced station. Now it seems if a liberal wants a more balanced air waves the conservatives scream "Liberals want to kill talk radio!" Get real
    Nobody wanted to listen to it. Most of the time, Air America was funded by George Soros. Advertisers ran.

    Report: Air America to declare bankruptcy
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=51962

    While we are regulating the Airwaves, why don't we just call that one form of media. Would it not be fair to say that if your going to regulate one medium and not others, that that would be biased?

    There is also newsprint and TV airwaves. Why not go ahead and create fair equal time for college classrooms?

    Most of the nations newsprint is considered left-leaning liberal.

    The New York Times, the most to the left is seeing diminishing revenues.
    http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/..._business.html

    I'm sure there is a list somewhere of left leaning media, whether it be airwaves or newsprint. I just haven't found a concise list yet. I will look.

    If you'll notice CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC and CBS are all left of center.

    Why are so many college students coming out of college with liberal attitudes? Because they don't know the difference between the facts and the rhetoric that is spewed to them by a majority of liberal professors. Um, can you say Ward Churchill ?

    So you want balanced airwaves? Let's balance all of media forms, then explain to the advertisers that pay the bills that they will just have to "Lump It" when the ratings don't come in. When did it become the right of the government to stifle free speech and public free will. It is because the public WANTS conservative radio that it is still on the air. And if the public doesn't get what it wants, they will stop listening, and programmers will cut programs, and you'll be listening to The Howdy Doody Show again.

    Let's face it, no one wants another Air America with it's consistent lies and America bashing.
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

    Born Again KA

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    5,473
    There is a difference between print media and the air waves.

    The air waves are Owned by the American people not the station owners. They are just licensed to use them. Print media is owned by who ever.

    As long as the air waves belong to all of us they should represent all of us.
    It's the Fairness Doctrine. I bet if liberial radio was all that conservatives could find they would have their own little hissy fit.

    As far as left leaning radio Ed Schultz does ok and even dominates some markets.

    I could listen to some conservative radio if the lies would stop. I like other views. Maybe because I'm neather left or right completly. I used to watch W.F. Buckley all the time and while I might not always agree I don't remember him lying. And few could make an argument as well.
    Tracers work both ways.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Charm City--the city that bleeds
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    There is a difference between print media and the air waves.

    The air waves are Owned by the American people not the station owners. They are just licensed to use them. Print media is owned by who ever.

    As long as the air waves belong to all of us they should represent all of us.
    It's the Fairness Doctrine. I bet if liberial radio was all that conservatives could find they would have their own little hissy fit.
    Liberals can't maintain a quality product. Until the gov't mandates that liberals get their say by strong-arming station owners, liberals won't have anyone other than CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, NPR, PBS, Time, Newsweek, NYT, LATimes, Gannett to spout their drivel.
    As far as left leaning radio Ed Schultz does ok and even dominates some markets.

    I could listen to some conservative radio if the lies would stop. I like other views. Maybe because I'm neather left or right completly. I used to watch W.F. Buckley all the time and while I might not always agree I don't remember him lying. And few could make an argument as well.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,910
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    There is a difference between print media and the air waves.

    The air waves are Owned by the American people not the station owners. They are just licensed to use them. Print media is owned by who ever.


    Then they should start regulation the tv stations too!

    No, I THINK, this is a direct attack on Limbaugh and the other conservative talk show host.

    I'm sure Diane Feinstein is upset with them, especially Mark Levin, after being exposed for steering hundreds of billions of dollars in military contracts to companies partially owned by her wealthy husband.
    http://www.corruptionchronicles.com/...stein_mil.html

    'The public owns the airwaves' is a weak argument when your talking about regulating free speech. Last I checked TV stations broadcast over the air too. I think that what that metal thingy in my attic is for.

    You don't hear the Conservatives crying over that now do ya, even though it is mostly left? I don't see the libs trying to regulate it either, so it must be liberal.
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

    Born Again KA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event