Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with return duct selection.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Check out the Carrier Infinity Air purifier.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=142500

Pricey but worth it IMO,best we have had in our home.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    3M ,NOT.
    I heard the 1" aren't that great but what about 4" 3M filters, are these alright?

Post Likes
    Haven't seen their 4" version.

Adding any "better" filter ,you need to have the static(resistance to air flow )tested.

If they don't you could drop below the minimum air flow required and damage the equipment,could be a very expensive lesson.

Seach for merv ratings .This is how filters are rated ,IMO merv 8 is the lowest you should buy ,just to protect the coil and blower.

Post Likes

Basement Return Vent question.

My basement is 30 x 17 (510 Sq. feet). Half of that is a Rec. Room the other Half is a laundry room. The Rec. Room is finished and has a return vent. The laundry room is not finished and does not have a return vent. However there is a small gap/hole cut out of the return trunk which does pull air into it. The room is full of dust and moisture in the summer months which worries me a little.

Is it necessary to have a return vent in the laundry room?
    Should this gap be covered? **(If so, it may help pull more air from my second floor.)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckfredgoose View Post

My basement is 30 x 17 (510 Sq. feet). Half of that is a Rec. Room the other Half is a laundry room. The Rec. Room is finished and has a return vent. The laundry room is not finished and does not have a return vent. However there is a small gap/hole cut out of the return trunk which does pull air into it. The room is full of dust and moisture in the summer months which worries me a little.

Is it necessary to have a return vent in the laundry room?
    Should this gap be covered? **(If so, it may help pull more air from my second floor.)

Large laundry room,usually no return there,but it may need it ,depends on the amount of supply air,assuming there is some.Don't want a return if there's a furnace in there.

Doubt that it will help the second floor ,at all.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Large laundry room,usually no return there,but it may need it ,depends on the amount of supply air,assuming there is some.Don't want a return if there's a furnace in there.

Doubt that it will help the second floor ,at all.
    Laundry room is roughly 14 x 17 = 238 sq. feet. There is a furnace and one supply register. (I keep it closed all year)

So do think that the hole in the return trunk should be sealed up then?
    What benefits might it have if it was sealed ?
    What benefits might it have if it was not sealed ?

Post Likes
    The room has a supply so it needs some type of return,so air from the supply can get back to the indoor unit(furnace).Without a way,could be a gap under the door,supply air will be reduced.

You don't want positive or negative pressure in a room with gas furnace/water heater,very dangerous stuation.Have a local Pro check it out for you,don't try to do this yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in