Thread: XR80

XR80

Greetings all,

I have a brand new XR80 furnace installed over the summer. I fired this baby up for the first time about 2 wks ago. I have it set to bring the house to 70 degrees by 6am. Since then I’m finding that the unit recycles every 5-6 minutes with no temperature change on the thermostat…so it’ll shut off and back on within 5-6 minutes (see below for the on/off cycle). To my thinking, that’s too much. I would think that the unit would let the temperature fall a degree or two before cycling back on. With my last furnace, I had the ability to adjust the thermostat to do this…something to do with adjusting the swing settings(?)

Is there something wrong with the system or is this normal for the Trane XR80 to cycle on/off so quickly with no change in temperature?

Do I need a different thermostat? The new system came with TCONT600AF11MA “Programmable Comfort Control”…

Thanks in advance!!

JP

Today’s on/off cycling

5:00am on
    5:48am off (thermostat reading: 70 degrees)
    5:53am on (70 degrees)
    6:03am off (70 degrees)
    6:08am on (70 degrees)
    6:15am off (70 degrees)

your new system is designed to keep the temp exactly where its programmed for with no swing, sounds like normal operation
    Total Energy Management, inc

Yup, since you likely are pretty mild, that may be what it is going to do til it gets colder. The Honeywell stat will not vary from 70 unless it gets notably above or below so you won't see that vary normally. You could change the cycles per hour from the factory 5 for the 80% to3 so it runs longer each time, that's a bit more efficient. If you get to bitter cold weather and cycle a lot, then you have an oversized furnace.

Isuredo; Baldloonie, many thanks so much for the quick response. Sounds like the system is OK and in a pinch, I can always eliminate cycles by overriding the temperature settings. But I like the idea of changing the cycles per hour to 3…I would suspect it would be more efficient. Does the installer/contractor do this?

yes, let them know whats goiing on and ask if they can set it up
    Total Energy Management, inc

They could probably talk you through changing heating cph over the phone on a Honeywell 6000, but its not a part of the programing you want to mess with as it is easy to accidently change something else by mistake.

Yep, lower the CPH to 3.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You guys are fabulous...thanks for the help!

JP