Reduction in performance

Hello HVAC Team

I have narrowed down my contractors to 3 for my new heat pump install. These three are the ones that quoted they will install new refrigerant lines.

One contractor quoted " he highly recommends relocating the outdoor unit to the location of the oil tank and removing the refrigerant lineset from the underground conduit. The reason for this is a typical reduction in performance of up to % per foot of lineset that is underground! This can increase drastically if the conduit fills with water.

I live on a 50' high knoll of glacial till, so there is absolutely no chance of the conduit filling with water.

I believe this statement is no more than an excuse to not re-run my refigerant lines through my underground conduit?

Any thoughts on the performance/efficiency loss quoted will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

you don't think rain could get in the conduit? by rights it shouldn't, but it can and does happen. and if a leak develops it sure does make it harder to pin point and fix. and with it being in conduit I don't think it will transfer heat as well.

Under ground lines can loose capacity, depending how well they are or aren't insulated.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The lines are insulated from condenser to evaporator, run through a 4" conduit (black perimeter drain type) for about 12 feet in length and about 2 feet deep, underneath a patio deck were there is no rainfall.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ash View Post
    The lines are insulated from condenser to evaporator, run through a 4" conduit (black perimeter drain type) for about 12 feet in length and about 2 feet deep, underneath a patio deck were there is no rainfall.

Peter
    Unless your refrigerant lines when installed underground where hermetically sealed under a vacuum in the conduit and have remained that way there will be water accumulation in the conduit.

This is particularly bad in a heat pump application when the system needs to perform a defrost, liquid slugging of the compressor can and will happen.

Ok! I believe I am going forward with a Trane Heat pump and electric furnace.

I had the "Old Guy" come by today and we figured the "New Guy" rated my ducting to high for the 2.5 ton unit, and I will be proceeding with a 2 ton unit as was previously installed(17 year old one, being replaced), and 15kw of heating elements.

I wish to know about the reliability and expected service life and costs of the Variable speed air handler motor.

[B] Are the electric filters (Trane Clean Effects) worth the cost.

Two cats in the house and subdivision construction nearby. No alergies.

All replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter Ash
    Last edited by Peter Ash; 11-05-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: underline/bold

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ash View Post
    Ok! I believe I am going forward with a Trane Heat pump and electric furnace.

I had the "Old Guy" come by today and we figured the "New Guy" rated my ducting to high for the 2.5 ton unit, and I will be proceeding with a 2 ton unit as was previously installed(17 year old one, being replaced), and 15kw of heating elements.

I wish to know about the reliability and expected service life and costs of the Variable speed air handler motor.

[B] Are the electric filters (Trane Clean Effects) worth the cost.

Two cats in the house and subdivision construction nearby. No alergies.

All replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter Ash
    Provided the VS motor is installed and maintained within its design static pressure it will be fine, if installed on a restrictive duct system it will fail.

Unless you are willing to provide constant maintenance for the Clean Effects and the duct system is modified to compensate for the static pressure "resistance" I would stay away from them.

I am being told my new heat pump may be installed under my deck (at the outer edge)with 8' of overhead clearance. I do have the clearance and the underside of the deck has aluminum soffit coverings.

Do you think there may be any issues with the defrost condensation effecting rot on the underside of my deck?

Thanks

Peter