+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oldest compressor?

Post Likes
    Frick is still in business,so is the company that made the equipment for the Titanic.I forget the mame we had a thread on it.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    So I beat my old record the other day. Just replaced a 1964 k body for a meat prep room that had never been serviced for anything by the looks of it. Original staring components, lp control, it also had NO service fittings just plugs in it... They must of charged it then removed the fittings and put plugs in???? Unless the condensing units came pre charged back then? It was a short run.

On the condensing unit under charge it just said FREON. Lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    So I beat my old record the other day. Just replaced a 1964 k body for a meat prep room that had never been serviced for anything by the looks of it. Original staring components, lp control, it also had NO service fittings just plugs in it... They must of charged it then removed the fittings and put plugs in???? Unless the condensing units came pre charged back then? It was a short run.

On the condensing unit under charge it just said FREON. Lol
    Growing up in NH, I remember going out on service calls with my father in the late 1950's and back then, there were many units which just had plugs on the compressor service valves. The old timers (like Dad) carried an assortment of 1/4"FL x 1/8"MPT brass in their toolbox...along with a tube of leak-lock. With the valves backseated, there was no pressure on the plugs, so you simply installed your service fittings and attached your gauges. No precharged systems in those days. Not too many refrigeration men in NH then either. My father may have installed that unit originally.

Post Likes
    have a 1/2 hp cope in a 50's coke box. BASKETBALL

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Growing up in NH, I remember going out on service calls with my father in the late 1950's and back then, there were many units which just had plugs on the compressor service valves. The old timers (like Dad) carried an assortment of 1/4"FL x 1/8"MPT brass in their toolbox...along with a tube of leak-lock. With the valves backseated, there was no pressure on the plugs, so you simply installed your service fittings and attached your gauges. No precharged systems in those days. Not too many refrigeration men in NH then either. My father may have installed that unit originally.
    That's funny, they must of really liked there brass fittings to take them back out every time they serviced a compressor.... Or maybe 50 years ago they were harder to come by??? Now that I think about it I did see a lot of extra plugs in the machine room. Probably from people removing them over the years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pherman View Post
    Here's one that's unique. It's out of service but still pretty cool.
    We had three of these hanging Chrysler Airtemps in a bowling alley. Unfortunately it closed last year. But they are still there.

Post Likes

old compressors geothermal heat pump state of the art

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    Don't laugh,but some of this old stuff will soon be state of the art again!
    'xactly!

the not so old Bristol 'cans' of the Inertia compressor series, with reduced con-rod metal per ton, b/c of the valve IN the piston like the ancient model engine called the Atom (have one)
    had EER of 11.4 to the scroll 11.1, then- now th tooling too expensive to reproduce, but for 27 dealers, they lasted over 25 years to date

before that , the old TETCO geothermal (chiller) heating -only on the condenser air-side with just 1979 g-Bristol's (from re tooled Sunstrand) - just cans, had as a system- chiller used for heating , 43k compressor, on 5 ton American Std tube in shell flooded evap and a near 6 ton condenser coil - then , COP of 4.1 , cap-tube, on just 5 GPM 52 Ent Water flow and 1600 CFM
    Process cooling: NO COMPRESSORS- just simply Earth-Coupled since 1996
    ... still needs to be hybridized with Earth-loop GTX for energy transfer/ chillin' /or thawin'

Perhaps you need a 22f Chiller/HW-Heat-Reclaim: buy a GEO-T Heat Pump (GTHP with Heat-Recovery)
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...mal_heat_pumps

http://www.hydro-temp.com/products.html and Bosch/Carrier/WF DHW while Cooling/Chilling

Post Likes
    Also seen third generation back to original Lintern units in steel mill cooling in 180 deg ambient's; at Lintern, Mentor , OH

10yrs ago they had 8hp motors on 5ton compressors for 3 net cooling usable tons; - state of the art in mills.
    Process cooling: NO COMPRESSORS- just simply Earth-Coupled since 1996
    ... still needs to be hybridized with Earth-loop GTX for energy transfer/ chillin' /or thawin'

Perhaps you need a 22f Chiller/HW-Heat-Reclaim: buy a GEO-T Heat Pump (GTHP with Heat-Recovery)
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...mal_heat_pumps

http://www.hydro-temp.com/products.html and Bosch/Carrier/WF DHW while Cooling/Chilling

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pherman View Post
    It'd be nice to see some pics of that.
    http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/...psxypfvbfg.jpg

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest tech View Post
    Nice!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Post Likes
    just serviced a 1973 carrier heatpump origional compressor 2.5 ton the compressor was in a box inside the house between outside & airhandler it was a castiron semihermetic i was suprised not to see it in the out door unit machine is working well

Post Likes
    At the school district I work for I had to order a new oil level sight glass since the original one was leaking and had a crack. The parts counter guy said "WOW, that thing was built in 1962, that's freaking old" I replied" yea, this thing was manufactured the year I was born".
    I didn't think I was really old, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in