Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Looks good and you are in a good program. My program had a work placement portion to and its where you pretty much learn everything, ended up landing full time work 4 weeks after finishing school (no 'connections') which definitely would not have happened had I not emphasized my experience in co-op placement. Been there 6 months and the learning never ends.

Is that an operable window above the concentric vent?
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!

nice job but I would have put that concentric out a little further and why no purple cleaner here in mass required just asking

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Doran View Post
    nice job but I would have put that concentric out a little further and why no purple cleaner here in mass required just asking
    Everything looks good but this ^^ jumped out at me too. That concentric looks a little to close to that old wood window that probably leaks air like a sieve.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerhunterjr View Post
    Everything looks good but this ^^ jumped out at me too. That concentric looks a little to close to that old wood window that probably leaks air like a sieve.

Yes, it is an operable window. However; the chances of someone operating are non existent. Early 30's couple that will utilize the climate control system rather than mother nature

BTW we can use clear cleaner here, so we do

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    That was my question and around here it doesn’t matter if operable 3’ from windows and doors 3’ above grade for snow.

Over all 2 thumbs up

Ducts don't appear to be sealed
    No fireblocking at ceiling penetration
    Concentric vent discharging into that corner may be problematic and aimed at condenser (frosting it over)

I like the unit sitting in a pan

Some idiot painted the brick outside! Not your fault but never paint masonry!

Rest looks really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Stayte View Post
    Yes, it is an operable window. However; the chances of someone operating are non existent. Early 30's couple that will utilize the climate control system rather than mother nature
    That's a really bad answer. Two reasons - 1) Code is code, and 2) what about when they move?

Never assume that installed equipment will be used as the buyer describes. Assume it will be used as a worst case scenario, always.. Just sayin'.

I don't like the proximity of the vent to the window, inside building corner OR ACCU. Looks like it would have been easy to relocate, just would have meant cutting a real hole instead of cheating thru the old window well.

Otherwise looks nice.

Please tell me exactly the issue do I can talk to my instructor about it.I will see what they have to say and post back

Sent from my ADR3010 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Stayte View Post
    Please tell me exactly the issue do I can talk to my instructor about it.I will see what they have to say and post back

Sent from my ADR3010 using Tapatalk 2
    Check your local code on proximity to operable windows. In NY you can't be under an operable window within 4 feet (among other restrictions). Beyond that, "common sense" dictates that flue gases can come inside when the window is open. I know, I know, "if the heat is on, why would the window be open??" The answer is - because, it can be, so at some point, it probably will be.

As far as the inside corner - check the furnace IO manual - it is usually not advisable to have a vent in an inside corner according to most manufacturers. Reasoning - pressures around the structure can fluctuate with wind direction and inside corners are especially susceptible to this.

Proximity to the ACCU - probably the least concerning because it looks far enough away, but as another poster stated, the water vapor could freeze and accumulate on whatever it hits when it's cold enough out, making the surface temps below freezing.

I guess more to my point - don't ever make a design or install decision based on what the owners or customers say they will do with the equipment. They could move the next week and someone new comes in that doesn't feel the same way about it and they are left with a potentially dangerous situation. This is why we have codes. In commercial work the example that always comes to mind is the intended use of kitchen equipment. In NY, if you have a residential oven in a commercial building being used for a "commercial purpose", it needs to be under a Type I hood with fire suppression. If the customer assures you they will "never cook anything serious in it, we don't need the hood", that's all well and good but when they leave the building they leave behind an oven that someone can jam full of bacon. If a fire starts, the building burns down, and people die, you are on the hook. No one will care what the tenant that was there 10 years ago told you they would or wouldn't do with the oven, making no hood fine for their application, the fact remains that the potential was always there and would always be there and a code was broken, making the liability yours (or your companies).

OK, enough preaching. ;o)
    Last edited by larobj63; 10-30-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Maybe just me, but I would be worried about snow drifts in the corner where the vent is. Would an elbow and coming up a few feet work? maybe even above the window in the corner?

After discussing with my instructor these concerns, this is the reply.

Code here dictates that there be 12" (1 foot) clearance around the exhaust. By code we are in good shape. We actually moved the smaller condensing unit further out to avoid any ice buildup. The photo doesn't accurately depict the distance, but there is more than sufficient room.
    Further, the corner being questionable, the house is situated geographically where that corner actually sees a flow through of air. It doesn't sit and swirl like you would imagine. I can attest to this myself. Snow buildup in that corner isn't a concern either.
    So that brings us to the point. My instructor doesn't believe it will be a problem, and based on what I know of him and his work practices, I do believe him. I thank you all for your comments, and I have certainly learned an enormous amount about something that would otherwise seem simple. I have much food for thought and this discussion will stick with me in the future.

Truth is, I am just finishing my first 6 weeks in school with no prior HVAC/R experience other than turning a thermostat. Needless to say I am overwhelmed with learning. But please keep going with me on things. It is not falling on deaf ears.

Quote Originally Posted by larobj63 View Post
    Check your local code on proximity to operable windows. In NY you can't be under an operable window within 4 feet (among other restrictions). Beyond that, "common sense" dictates that flue gases can come inside when the window is open. I know, I know, "if the heat is on, why would the window be open??" The answer is - because, it can be, so at some point, it probably will be.

As far as the inside corner - check the furnace IO manual - it is usually not advisable to have a vent in an inside corner according to most manufacturers. Reasoning - pressures around the structure can fluctuate with wind direction and inside corners are especially susceptible to this.

Proximity to the ACCU - probably the least concerning because it looks far enough away, but as another poster stated, the water vapor could freeze and accumulate on whatever it hits when it's cold enough out, making the surface temps below freezing.

I guess more to my point - don't ever make a design or install decision based on what the owners or customers say they will do with the equipment. They could move the next week and someone new comes in that doesn't feel the same way about it and they are left with a potentially dangerous situation. This is why we have codes. In commercial work the example that always comes to mind is the intended use of kitchen equipment. In NY, if you have a residential oven in a commercial building being used for a "commercial purpose", it needs to be under a Type I hood with fire suppression. If the customer assures you they will "never cook anything serious in it, we don't need the hood", that's all well and good but when they leave the building they leave behind an oven that someone can jam full of bacon. If a fire starts, the building burns down, and people die, you are on the hook. No one will care what the tenant that was there 10 years ago told you they would or wouldn't do with the oven, making no hood fine for their application, the fact remains that the potential was always there and would always be there and a code was broken, making the liability yours (or your companies).

OK, enough preaching. ;o)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12