Wood insert selection help.

I want to put a wood burning insert in a masonry fireplace. Of course every dealers inserts are the best, and competitors junk. I want the insert to provide heat during a power failure, or when it gets extremely cold. Thought I'd ask here. Also I will be installing a flue liner and need advice for this too.

you get what you pay for pretty much

What DV said, and don't skimp on the piping/venting you'll regret it and if you don't pipe up years later with major creosote issues you'll be having a pretty expensive conversation with a tech or a sobering one from a after fire situation. I like versatility cook tops etc, can't remember the name but the thermal fans that run off thermal not sure if they work well but seem cool no electrical etc look for a shop that sells and services , it's weird you 'd think places that sell a stove wood service it but that is not always the case.

You will want a qualified pro to first perform a Level II inspection to ensure your chimney and fireplace are suitable. An insert is not a repair item for an otherwise deficient fireplace. You will want a liner listed to UL 1777 with the requisite insulation to meet a zero clearance between the masonry and combustibles. Depending upon your present flue, that may require an ovalized liner or possibly even breaking out the old flue tiles. Insist on a transferrable lifetime warranty liner brand. Don't forget your floor protection in front of the stove as well as your clearance to a combustible mantel or flanking combustibles such as cabinets. The more an insert projects out into the room, the more radiant heat, the more cooktop surface available but the more it encroaches on combustibles. I prefer non-cat. stoves myself. Note that most stoves online void their warranties so buy locally.

Honestly, most models that are listed and certified to EPA Phase II are pretty decent in construction. I'd look for the strength of your local shop and their reputation for customer service. Anyone can sell a stove and most can install it. Not all can do it correctly and not all stand behind their work or the products they sell.