Question VTAC manufacturers

I have the design of a 34-story condo project starting up and the initial design idea is to use VTAC units in the condos. It would eliminate refrigerant lines and also eliminate the use of a central system (cooling towers, chillers, etc). However, I am having trouble locating a manufacturer who make a complete line of VTAC units. I know Friedrich used to make them from 1.5-5 tons, however, with the 13 SEER regulations in affect, they discontinued most of their VTAC product line. Anybody know of another manufacturer out there who makes a complete line? Another catch is that I need to them use R-410a or another environmentally friendly refrigerant as there is a good possibility the owner will seek LEED accrediation.

Iv'e never hered of VTAC. I have hered of PTAC, Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner. What does the V stand for?

ductable PTAC is a good description, instead of low & wide, its narrow and tall hence vertical TAC.

Finding up to 5 ton and R410a could be a challenge. At a glance First Co. goes to 2 ton, GE to 1.5 ton, Friedrich to 2 ton, Magic Pak to 2.5 ton, EMI to 2 ton, National Comfort to 2.5 tons. All R22.

Might find someone who will let you take R22 out and put in something like NU22b, a HFC instead. That makes it green.

SkyMark

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-09-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: non AOP Pro Member

Wow, 6 year old thread comes to life!

cdunbar11

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.