Thread: Maratherm AC

Confused Maratherm AC

I had a contractor install a central ac unit, he is a keeprite dealer and installed a Maratherm 13 seer unit, mentioned it was under the keeprite name and was a great unit under the (ICP) umbrella of companies.

Has anyone ever heard or have any reviews of this unit. I know the keeprite name as I have had products from them previously and have had no problems with them.

Thanks all,

Brand Name Owner: INTERNATIONAL COMFORT PRODUCTS, LLC Owner Details

Brand Name Owner Address: 650 HEIL-QUAKER AVENUE LEWISBURG TENNESSEE 37091

I think it's their "down & dirty" brand, no frills, sell to anyone, cheaply built, low price.

You are correct about that. It is a cheap POS.

Talking

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I guess I can't complain as it was a close friend of the family's who installed it for us. As I said before he is a Keeprite dealer and I have had no problem with their stuff , so (knock on wood) that this brand is just as dependable.

Thanks again.

Maratherm

I recently had a Maratherm heat pump installed and it has a Copeland Compressor and GE fan motor. I guess those are good brands. So I think that Maratherm is good too. But I think if later on down the road when it wears out, I would get that was a name brand (Heil, York, Lennox).

All the answers about quality are wrong.

Maratherm is made by ICP. Exactly the same as Day and Night, Heil, Comfort Maker, Tempstar and so on. When you guys bash a brand then spell the specs and why a certain brand is inferior based on the components. Maratherm has the same coil tubing, compressor, fan motor, relay, capacitor, fan blade and housing as all of the brands above. As well Carriers and Bryant are made by the same company, United Technologies. Now Carrier and Bryant use the exact same components as do all ICP brands. The equipment is the same, just different letters and marketing. Much like LENNOX and Armstrong. Now here's the real difference. The post above had a friend of a friend of friend of a friend install the system. Most likely not a contractor but more like Skippy the handyman. Most contractors do poor workmanship as well. If the correct procedures are not followed during an installation, the compressor will fail. Just a few examples are purging the refrigeration lines with nitrogen and soldering them with a trickle of nitrogen. This will keep nitro oxides from forming inside the refrigeration lines. As well a vacuum pump must be used to pump down the refrigeration lines to at least 500 microns. Then let the vacuum set for a half hour and see if the 500 microns hold. If not then there's either a leak or moisture in the lines. Moisture will cause a compressor to fail sometimes less than two years. So it's the installation that matters. All the reviews in the world can't equate the human element.
    So don't hire a friend of a friend of a friend or most likely the sweetness of a good deal up front will be forgotten by the bitterness of poor choice. People you actually save money by hiring a top rated contractor and getting off price and brand. Remember there's no free lunches, it's pay me now or pay me later. Woulnt you as an client rather pay once and save yourself the heart ache?

Wow, a 4+ year old thread comes to life!

Still a low end brand within ICP

The specs are the same as is the color of Carrier's builder model in the 90's. All brands have their throw away model's. Look at York, Carrier, Bryant, Rheem, Ruud, LENNOX, Armstrong, Tranr, American Standard. Most compressors in the basic to high end are the same. Just the bodies, sound blanket, more control and soun reduction on the furnaces. Components are components. I have been a tech for 31 years. All brands of furnaces have what I'd known as personality problem based on design.

Yup, and this is an ICP "throwaway" brand! It is like the cube Bryant & Carriers but less coil protection and putting Mexicans to work, not Americans on the A/Cs.

If someone wants high & low pressure protection, sound deadening, condenser protection and to put fellow Americans to work, they can go with a Heil, Tempstar, D&N, Arco, Comfortmaker, Keeprite, Carrier, Bryant and get a nice unit. But you aren't going to find anything but bare bones at Maratherm.

I agree, all the low end equipment is junk and for uneducated buyers who do not have a brain. Take care!