Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

time for a change maybe?

hi , fellas whats the best way to get into the commercial food service. im in south west florida charlotte county area. With three years OFF AND ON in a/c installs . Need to make a change because of a bad ankle. im willing to learn ice machine also some walk in coolers. please any advice . THANKS

Confused

wow, i need help please.

thahks green.

Like ACR, appliances are experience/knowledge based.

Unlike ACR there are few if any associations or books that can help you. Turning to commercial appliances and being really good at it will take time and the willingness to go home smelling like a french fry (a very old one) and destroying about everything you touch with greasy hand and foot prints.

At least you will never have to worry about your tools rusting.

You have the option to be picked up by a company that does this type of work and ride with a more experienced tech if they will hire you and be willing to absorb the training costs. You have the ability to search out manufacturer's web sites that contain user and service manuals... find them and understand how to use the equipment first then learn how to fix it.

The secret in most appliances is knowing how it is used and what it does before you can find the problem and fix it. Appliances are mostly controls and circuits, safeties and some sort of high voltage load. Learn electricity and gas properties. Rely upon your amp probe, voltage tester, gas pressure gauge and a millivolt tester. Get the best you can buy cause your work depends on them just as much as a good set of refrigerant gauges.

Who will be willing to pick you up will be the first challenge and the biggest.

Thumbs up

thanks lusker iwil try my best.

I would suggest doing a search for manuals for the following Manuf's

Pitco
    Frymaster
    Henny Penny
    Hatco
    US Range
    Wolf
    Blodgett

The list is endless... but start there

Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    I would suggest doing a search for manuals for the following Manuf's

Pitco
    Frymaster
    Henny Penny
    Hatco
    US Range
    Wolf
    Blodgett

The list is endless... but start there
    You also forgot the "Fagor" manufacturing brand manuals..

thanks fellas i needed that imfo. i wiil start my search soon. i will let you know when i found something.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by green_apprentice View Post
    hi , fellas whats the best way to get into the commercial food service. im in south west florida charlotte county area. With three years OFF AND ON in a/c installs . Need to make a change because of a bad ankle. im willing to learn ice machine also some walk in coolers. please any advice . THANKS
    the best way to learn refrigeration and cooking equipment is to get a job with an in house maintenance company like a fast food co or a school district. their usually the only ones that are willing to train you!!! thats how i started out with a fast food company. Im currently still with them, we work on all cooking equipment( fryers, grills, warmers, ovens, steam wells, bun toasters, exhaust hoods, makeup air). also their refrigeration (wif, wic, wisc, rif,ric, ice machines, multiplex drink systems, ice dispensers). and of course their hvac. usally when you screw something up, its not as bad because its property of the company you work for!!!!!!!!!! we have work all year long and lots of overtime. but i dont regret learning all this equipment, i enjoy every minute of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the more you learn the more you will make)

hope this can help you get a head start

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by iceetech View Post
    the best way to learn refrigeration and cooking equipment is to get a job with an in house maintenance company like a fast food co or a school district. their usually the only ones that are willing to train you!!! thats how i started out with a fast food company. Im currently still with them, we work on all cooking equipment( fryers, grills, warmers, ovens, steam wells, bun toasters, exhaust hoods, makeup air). also their refrigeration (wif, wic, wisc, rif,ric, ice machines, multiplex drink systems, ice dispensers). and of course their hvac. usally when you screw something up, its not as bad because its property of the company you work for!!!!!!!!!! we have work all year long and lots of overtime. but i dont regret learning all this equipment, i enjoy every minute of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the more you learn the more you will make)

hope this can help you get a head start

try this web site for information 4emweb

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by green_apprentice View Post
    thanks fellas i needed that imfo. i wiil start my search soon. i will let you know when i found something.
    Also try http://www.cfesa.com/
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

I work for GCS(Ecolab) We do commercial repair all over the country.I was in residential HVAC for 15 years,got burned out.It is a little overwhelming at first-all of the differant equipment in a kitchen and I only did a/c,no refer.But a lot of your skills will carry over-troubleshooting the same.A lot of the battle is not knowing how it works when it is working-like steamers etc.They were willing to train me-i rode with senior techs for a few weeks and eased into it doing PM's for a bit,then hit the ground running.GCS is always hiring-email me if interested

**************Please put email in profile********************
    Last edited by HeyBob; 07-02-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Removed email

Quote Originally Posted by Troy2003 View Post
    I work for GCS(Ecolab) We do commercial repair all over the country.I was in residential HVAC for 15 years,got burned out.It is a little overwhelming at first-all of the differant equipment in a kitchen and I only did a/c,no refer.But a lot of your skills will carry over-troubleshooting the same.A lot of the battle is not knowing how it works when it is working-like steamers etc.They were willing to train me-i rode with senior techs for a few weeks and eased into it doing PM's for a bit,then hit the ground running.GCS is always hiring-email me if interested

**************Please put email in profile********************
    hey troy ive heard that gcs is a pretty good company to work for!!!!! what part of the country are you in??? im in dallas tx. Their usually hiring over here too. whats the pay range for a guy with a couple years exprience in cooking and refrigeration at gcs????

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast