grilled baked potatoes?

How do you guys do baked potatoes on the grill?

I know you are supposed to wrap them in foil, but how long do you leave them on and how do you tell when they are done?

Also, someone once told me you should put them in the microwave first?

They're done when they're done.......stick a fork in them to check doneness....if its hard to push in.....need to cook some more.

I have never cared for them on the grill. I just wet them, roll them in sea salt , wrap them in foil and bake them.

Pat on the grill I like to mix them with veggies wrap up and grill. As a whole potatoe about 2 hours depending on heat. Hope all is well !! Miss dolly yet ? At least i had to say that. Take care
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

poke several holes in potato with a fork, microwave a minute or two per potato depending on size, wrap with foil then put on grill for a while (till soft like stated above.)

all the microwaving does is speed it up a little

If I was gonna Zap it first [and I would] I would 1/4 the potatoe, add some butter and herbs, then wrap in foil and finish onj the grill. Grilled veggies is good stuff. Pat, try grillin some zuchinni slices with herbs and olive oil, or some 'sparagus. MMMMmmmmmmm
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Wrap in foil with butter and 1 tablespoon water. Leave a little room for steam expansion. Cook for one hour on indirect/medium heat. Turn once halfway through cooking time. Try added minced garlic and vidalia onion.

Please, Skip the Microwave

If you want a soggy microwaved potato then dont even bother with the grill. However if you want the best baked potato you've ever had do it all on the grill. Take the potatoes, wash em, let dry, then poke with a fork about a dozen times, melt some butter, brush it all over then sprinkle with a little salt. Then grill them over indirect heat for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, until squeezable. You will not be dissapointed, dont skip the skin either might be the best part.

P.S. Using wood chips also helps the flavor.

I like them better from the microwave. the skin is soft instead of hard. I poke several holes in it, wet it under the faucet, sprinkle salt then put it in the micrwave. I've never had a problem with them being soggy.

I then cut it open and add butter and cajun seasoning. Eat the whole thing. Skin and all.

I don't care for anything in the microwave. All they are good for is warming.