Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I will jump in and concurr with frozen ocean. hvac/r is a career trade not just a job. if you are in it for the paycheque you will be disappointed, there is no guarantee of work or steady hours.
    regarding the value of pre-employment or pre-apprenticeship, these were designed to be building blocks for potential apprentices.
    what may be an asset to future employers is your current experiences ie. have you or can you work with your hands, do you know which end of the screwdriver to hold.
    i did my pre-apprenticeship at bcit in 1980 long before jarts existed, it helped as an exposure to the basics of refrigeration. by no means are you leaving those courses with any skill that matters
    to a potential employer. in this wired world we live in, in my opinion you don't need to go to a school to learn about the basics, its all on the web. hey remember that building called a library?
    check them out, a lot of books available. also go to the wholesalers, RSL, WWG, Independent Supply, typically there are job postings and thats a good indicator work available.
    for those first year apprentices, go to local488.ca, camp job on the dispatch board.

Is this half-day dale chapman? Lol. Be careful if you plan to take this guy's advice.

I'm going to agree with everyone else here on the route of training. When I did JARTS it was during the recession, in a year period approximately 250 people went through the program and I think 2 people got indentured that year (2009) through the union that didn't have a family connection. Having said that I was one of those. Which leads me to my next point, depending on the time of year you might have a better chance at getting into medical school. So be prepared to be severely let down if you want to do this on your own terms.

I went through the JARTS training in the early 90's and it was excellent. I am sure it has improved and believe the apprentices coming out at least have a good theoretical understanding of the trade. I moved to the US 15 years ago and wish our apprentices could be sent up there for schooling. You guys should appreciate what JARTS offers as our UA apprentices here have 6 months of 3 hours 2 nights a week to go through the entire text book. We are doing them a great disservice and would love to see a JARTS style facility down here.
    Federal Reserve, stealing your kids futures since 1913

UA290

Actually I guess it is not the entire text book but a few chapters, the text book leaves something to be desired though.
    Federal Reserve, stealing your kids futures since 1913

UA290

how is it in Oregon?

busy, need help?

Oregon is awsome, I am swamped but some guys are slow, depends on area.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234