compressor / capacitor

If this is crossing the DIY line please tell me. I have gotten two different answers fron two different service men.

I am having intermittent trouble with the condenser fan not starting. The compressor and the condenser fan both run through a dual capacitor. The compressor starts even when the fan doesn't. Is it possible the capacitor is bad or would you think the motor? I am only running it manually to avoid a compressor burn out. It does not have a high pressure limit switch to shut it off. Thanks Sammy

Quote Originally Posted by sammycastagna View Post
    The compressor and the condenser fan both run through a dual capacitor. The compressor starts even when the fan doesn't. Is it possible the capacitor is bad or would you think the motor?

Could be either.

Have a service tech come out and fix it. Instead of RISKING compressor damage as you are.

And YES, this is a DIY question.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Could be the motor, the capacitor or a loose wire or some other gremlin. Personally, I'd have the tech replace the motor run capacitor and go from there. Capacitor is less money than a motor.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

condenser / compressor

Thanks for your reply and honesty.

Sammy

capacitor should be TESTED not just replaced, that way you know if you really fixed the problem. Tech should also check wiring. They usually either work or not.
    GOD knows if you did your best! <><

Is it an A/C or heat pump?
    If it's a heat pump could be defrosst board opening the switch intermittenly.

Quote Originally Posted by hankmcneil View Post
    capacitor should be TESTED not just replaced, that way you know if you really fixed the problem. Tech should also check wiring. They usually either work or not.
    Capacitors that are intermittment won't always show up on a normal field test. The best test is always on the equipment. If it croaks under load after a few minutes of running, a new one might solve the problem. You don't come across an intermittment cap very often but when they heat up, it's entirely possible.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

compressor / capacitor

It is a AC gas pack.

Intermittent means-you lose cooling and when the tech comes back you don't want to pay for the call. Listen to the tech-new motor,blade and capacitor

compressor / capacitor

MROY3 you got me wrong. If I had the money I would just go buy a new house with a new AC. Unfortunately I am one trickle down economics never got to. You all have a good weekend.