Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice needed: replace furnace only or the whole system?

need your advice as i can't make up my mind.

i have a 12 yr old gas lennox pulse 21 furnace and a lennox a/c unit (split). the furnace will need to be replaced because it's loud, in need of repair etc. a/c unit works fine it's a 12 seer.

the new furnace will be carrier infinity 95 % efficiency, price is reasonable and i decided to definitely replace it. question is this...would it be advisable/smart to also replace the 12 yr old lennox a/c. again the unit works fine and not probs with it. if i were to replace i would go with carrier infinity a/c 17 seer.

the hvac installer says if the a/c works fine i shouldn't replace it just yet, basically wait for it to start giving me probs. what do you think.

thank you for your opinions.
    Last edited by lawjustice23; 06-21-2007 at 09:37 PM.

IMO ... replace it all at once

The only Carrier 95% furnace I know of comes in 40K BTU's only, if yours is larger than that, you will not be eligible for tax credits.

As for the cooling side, it has almost reached it's useful life (15 yrs. or so.)
    It will probably cost more to do the furnace now and the condenser/coil at a later date, due to additional labor and parts costs.

By the way, DO NOT look at a system as being a certain SEER, until you have proven it through ARI.(condenser/coil/furnace macth-ups)

www.ari.org

Good Luck.

and if it was a 12-seer that was new and tested with certain parts in a lab, the wear and tare, dirt on coil, improper furnace and refrigerant charge could make that number drop

if you can afford it and are staying in the house do it and get some rebate money from the gas and power companys.

matt

the two products i'm considering are these:

carrier infinity 58UVB gas furnace in 80btu, 2 stage, variable speed(http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...inity96.shtml#)

and a/c 24ANA7 (17 seer, 2 stage)
    (http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...nfinity.shtml#)

if i were to replace the a/c as well i would get $350 from the power company and $1100 from carrier in the form of a rebate.

also if i were to replace both units i would also go with the 10 yrs parts/labor warranty which was already quoted in the price by installer.

the "system" would also come with the cool infinity controller/thermostat.

so basically life span of a/c unit is around 15 yrs or so?

sold!!!

if the furnace is bad it's still under warranty............

why pay for a new one??????

furnace's heat exchanger is still under warranty. everything else is not. i already paid $400 to have the unit "fixed." the air diaphram was replaced and tune up was done. well that didn't help. the furnace is still very loud and i don't want to pay anymore $$$ to have it diagnosed. if i were to keep the furnace i would have to pressure test the heat exchanger for $600. if it fails lennox will replace the entire furnace and give us lennox gas G51 Furnace (not bad, 92% single stage etc.) however i have to pay for labor to have the unit installed which would be ... $4000 for the labor. if the unit passes the pressure test, i would have already spent $1000 and the unit still would be extremely loud etc. so i would have to put more $$$ into it to make it quiet.

so, our only reasonable option is to replace it with a new unit like the carrier one and pay for it straigt up.
    there's no other option at this time :-)

by the way i can have the carrier furnace installed for less than the lennox guy wants to charge for labor only.

You must be in a Northern climate if you're putting in a 95% furnace. So more than likely you've only used your A/C about 3 months a year for 12 years, so you've got 4 total years on it. I would leave the A/C and just replace the furnace for now.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

It's like buying a car that needs body work. you have a great running engine but you need to get the body fixed. It may turn out alright it may be a disaster and cost you more in the long run than just paying for the total package up front. Not to mention the savings (if in a northern climate wont be as much from the higher efficiency system).

Quote Originally Posted by lawjustice23 View Post

so basically life span of a/c unit is around 15 yrs or so?
    yes 15 yrs
    if you can gt 10 yr parts AND labor..i think it is a no brainer IMO
    new stat..whole new system..warranty..peace of mind

i live near pa/de border. furnace runs usually from november to april (maybe even sooner this year because of a new baby) and a/c from june to maybe late sept but probably not every day.

Quote Originally Posted by lawjustice23 View Post
    i live near pa/de border. furnace runs usually from november to april (maybe even sooner this year because of a new baby) and a/c from june to maybe late sept but probably not every day.
    you live near me so i know your climate..seems like we go from winter to summer immediately anymore, So the high efficiency will be good, this is the first time i can remember we had somewhat of a spring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast