Incorrect burner installed gas logs

Had new house built last fall.This spring turned off pilot light on gas logs @ that time noticed extreme sooting on inside of fireplace glass, logs, firebox, outside flue, etc. After contacting the installer I was told the only thing that would cause sooting in the fireplace is that I let it run out of propane I explained it had not run out of propane.They did finally agree to send a tech out to check at that time the tech said they did not convert the logs to propane the logs were operating on natural gas all winter my home is heated with propane My question the installer wants to convert the logs over to propane What about all the soot?? should the logs and fireplace be inspected??? could anything be damage to the logs or burner from operating the system on the incorrect fuel all winter Thanks

Well I would say that the logs, burner, glass and firebox should be cleaned and have the firebox and burner repainted. The logs and glass should be fine but if they are black from the soot and you do not like them than tell them to replace them because it was there mistake for not converting properly. Sometimes it is impossible to get the glass fully cleaned because the soot imbeds itself after burning for a long time.

Thanks for the reply I will see if they will come back and inspect etc Thanks Dan

Cool clarify please

You say your house is LP yet you say the logs burned NG all winter. Did you mean to say the Fp was setup to burn NG but burned LP all winter?

f you burn LP with NG setup, the unit will be severely overfired. Aside from permanent damage to the unit, you may have pyrolysis of nearby combustibles. I would recommend a Level III inspection of the framing and chase interior to verify. Then contact the mfr. with the model and serial # to see if they are voiding the warranty.

Is there "soot" all over the house or just inside the fireplace? What about the venting?

I'd put this in the mfr's court first. If they sign off, then proceed with fuel conversion and cleanup. I'd also be looking for someone else to service it.

My 7 cents worth---I'll send you a bill.

Hearthman, I see consulting is starting to make you the big bucks !!!!! You made 7 cents on that one !!!!!

Sorry for any confusion My new house uses propane for heating and the fireplace logs When the logs were installed last fall the installer failed to convert the logs over to propane The logs were set up to operate on natural gas I used the gas logs all winter using propane This spring is when I noticed the sooting inside the fireplace I could no longer see the logs burning because of the build up of soot on the glass some sooting did get on the bricks around the fireplace the outside vent is also black with soot.along with all of the componets inside the fireplace I did email Heatalitor today I recieved an email back saying I should contact the origional installer Thanks Dan

As Heathman has stated, your unit has been operating in an "over-fired" condition all winter long which causes incomplete combustion of the air-fuel mixture, which in turn produces excessive amounts of carbon monoxide in the flue gas. DO NOT, under any circumstances, operate this appliance until a qualified tech has inspected the unit and made all proper repairs. Just curious, do you have a co detector in your home?

Cool

Good luck Dan. BTW, make sure Heatilator has that model#, serial#, and location. Once its in their database, they can always track it by serial# should you ever need them again.

If they are to salvage that unit and just clean it up and convert it, make sure they get a sealed conversion kit from HL. Insist you don't want to see loose parts in his bag. You want to see them open it up and which burner orifice he's using. Before you open the glass and poof that house with BPM, bag the termination with a Hefty bag & tape.

Before you open the glass and poof that house with BPM, bag the termination with a Hefty bag & tape. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for everyones help and expert advise I contacted the installed and they agreed to replace the burner and do a full inspection and clean up the fireplace Thanks again to eveyone who replied Dan