Enough about Trane...

Enough about Trane...

While I really don't care for some Trane products, I've come to realize that they really arn't doing to well in the IAQ market. Between issues as of late with the Clean Air Effects filter AND the transition to ALL aluminum coils in the fan coils, (Which also means no UV lights, if you do they void warranty), I think it's solid about time to move away from Trane IAQ products.

Having said that, what are some pro's and con's to YOUR favorite IAQ products. Not what you sell the most of or what most homeowners want, YOUR favorite.

I am more partial to the Lennox PureAir. Not the new cabinet that Lennox came out with so they could shave a few bucks, I'm talking the older PCO-12/20C. Simply because it attacks all three areas of filtration that need to be attacked. Merv 16 Filter, 6 UV lights and a Titanium filter just for those odd smells.

So, the subject being your favorite form of IAQ....let's hear it!

-Matt S.

as a homeowner I like the simple 5" pleated TruFits which don't add any ozone or other stuff into my air.

does anyone mkt a good IAQ solution that doesn't add stuff to the air?

Actually, that "PureAir" system that I mentioned does have a UV light yet does not emmit ozone and puts nothing into your air stream. Not all UV lights emmit ozone, it's just finding the ones that don't that's the pain...The Titanium filter simply takes out any odd smells.

What about those coils?

Can you please expand upon why they are going to all aluminum coils? Especially as it relates to IAQ??
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by hvac_help_needed View Post
    Can you please expand upon why they are going to all aluminum coils? Especially as it relates to IAQ??
    Thank you!
    They are going with all aluminum coils to prevent formicary corrosion, the #1 cause of evaporator coil leaks. It also eliminates leaks caused by steel tube sheets rusting out, witch is the #2 cause of evaporator coil leaks.

I hadn't seen anything about a UV light voiding the warranty, but we don't sell UV lights, so that isn't an issue for me. A good media type air cleaner, proper airflow and a coil with a drain pan that doesn't hold excessive water negates the usefulness of irradiating the coil with UV light.

If it is true that it voids the warranty, it is probably because there is a coating on the coil to prevent "dirty sock syndrome".

I doubt a PCO or PHI cell device would affect the warranty, since neither one irradiates the coil with UV.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

The problem with standard EAC's is to keep them in top working order. According to the EPA an EAC loses the bulk of it's efficiency after approximately 30-days of operation. Then just so they can sell the blessed things, the manufacturer's tell the clients they can clean the coils in a dishwasher. That's like trying to clean an over with soap and water. Doesn't do the job. To be done properly requires a professional job with solvents. Who's going to pay for someone to clean their EAC professionally every month or even three? So we're using the Daynamic Electronic Air Cleaner. When it needs to be serviced, the entire prefilter (fiberglass) and the cell (carbon element) gets tossed in the trash. That just leaves the rock stopper frame to be vacuumed off, put in a new element and you've got a 99% effective EAC all new again. Our clients love them in all respects. Oh yeah and did I say that they cost considerably less as well?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

How much does it cost to maintain the entire system for a high usage area such as Phx,AZ where HP get used tons? Seem to recall those UV lights don't last very long and are costly?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxstoneboyxX View Post
    Actually, that "PureAir" system that I mentioned does have a UV light yet does not emmit ozone and puts nothing into your air stream. Not all UV lights emmit ozone, it's just finding the ones that don't that's the pain...The Titanium filter simply takes out any odd smells.

On Trane and their stance on UV lighting. They haven't had enough time to experiment with the effects on the drain pans. They have inhibitors in the plastics but UV light will break down anything with time. As far as the aluminum coil I can see several benefits of it . Especially with heat transfer, corrosion resistance and aluminum reflects UVC lights where most metals wont reflect the properties of the light. And chandler guy depending on what brand of system you use the costs of bulb can be rather cheap to very expensive. Most bulbs have a 9000 hour life which is one year. And the majority of the systems only pull electricity Wise around 3/4 amp per bulb.. But be aware all UV bulbs are a like. Some produce ozone in large quantities and some are multi band bulbs saying you will only get a percentage of germicidal light in stead of 98% of C-band. I was just in your area I have a niece that is a cop there and my sister live their.