Help, advice and opinion

Hey guys I starting the learning of hvac in 2005 at technical school, I was only 17! I always wanted to work commercial refrigeration Etc. Big thing just like tx! I've gotten real close into almost getting great jobs and I enjoyed the tours I get on interview sometimes of big equipment! I'm always in ohhh Woow lol But why is it hard to break into commercial position? I don't think I'm looking into the right places? Where does one start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Do you have any experience now?

A union apprenticeship.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

No experience in commercial
    4 years doing installations and 3 years doing service only in residential! The only union I found on Google was In Dallas about an 1 hr drive, I don't think there's a lot of union shops around here in dfw.

The older techs I work with for some reason don't like commercial, they don't even like to work on roof top package units!

Well guys I'm disappointed, I got offered a real good job, to good to be true, all my references came thru. then all the sudden in the process of getting hired, I get a call saying they want to freeze hiring process at this point? Idk what happened? He said all my info is saved and he will call me as soon as they can hire Idk if that's true or to they probably found someone else!

Learn how to deal with disappointment and adversity, it's a skill you'll need/use on a daily basis. For all you know, he may be testing your will and determination.

If you contact him to ask for a position lower down the totem pole or perhaps as a free ride along (won't happen for insurance reasons), you'll show determination which may get you your dream job. Don't mention disappointment or "what happened"...if you don't pick your words carefully, he might think you're calling him a liar. I might.

Regarding the union being an hour away, move. Problem solved.

Constant searching.
    Internet job sites but you have to filter through the jobs until you find on of interest.
    Ive learned to stay away from the openings posted every single day for months.
    But sign up on a few free job sites if you have not found anything yet as it seems most everybody is turning to the online application process.
    Just use safe judgement and make sure it is a legitimate job and not someone cherry picking your information.

Call phone numbers listed to verify and look the companies up online.

Several companies have a Jobs or career page if you search a particular company.

Quote Originally Posted by landolb View Post
    Well guys I'm disappointed, I got offered a real good job, to good to be true, all my references came thru. then all the sudden in the process of getting hired, I get a call saying they want to freeze hiring process at this point? Idk what happened? He said all my info is saved and he will call me as soon as they can hire Idk if that's true or to they probably found someone else!

A lot of times things happen unknown to us. A big contract might have cancelled. A customer with a handful of locations might have gone out of business, or the accountants revised their projections. If you went through the background check and drug test, then they were probably interested in you. I would send an email thanking them for their time, and if something changes you would still be interested.

Thanks for the info guys I've been looking around and my old school directed me to a preceding food plant working with ammonia. When I wanted to work in big equipment that never crossed my mind. What's the difference with working with ammonia vs other refrigeration? Will it help me gain experience if later down the road I would like to do normal ref. chiller work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ammonia can kill you if you do not know what your doing

Yes I'm aware of that

Quote Originally Posted by landolb View Post
    Thanks for the info guys I've been looking around and my old school directed me to a preceding food plant working with ammonia. When I wanted to work in big equipment that never crossed my mind. What's the difference with working with ammonia vs other refrigeration? Will it help me gain experience if later down the road I would like to do normal ref. chiller work?

First off...its much easier to find a leak!
    There are a few differences depending on the temperature ranges. It is a good experience. Im surrounded by orange juice plants. When I get tired of running the highways, im going to park myself at one of these. The hourly pay is probably a little lower than agerage tech wages in your area. You will make up for this in hours. If you can stick with it for a few years, you can get an operators certificate http://www.reta.com/pages/levels
    A good plant operator can go anywhere and write his own check.