heating 4 season porch in cold new england

Hi- I just framed a 14X20 4 season porch with 8 ft ceilings and 10 5x2 windows and 2 3' exterior doors. One of the 20 ft walls attaches to the rear of the house- porch is suspended apprx 30" above ground with open air circulating underneath. I have been looking into heating options and have been getting feedback from heating experts that running baseboard heat (i have in hot water baseboard in rest of house) out there will definitely freeze up on coldest days (10 degrees)(i have oil burning furnace) I have been reading about hydronic floor systems and propane wall units. I am looking to obviously get the most efficient system at the best price-- Any advice of total install and operating costs of any of the above mentioned or other alternatives would be much appreciated. Not interested in wood, corn, or pellet stoves. Thanks in advance.

If you don't want a stove (woulda been my choice), I would go with a propane wall unit.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Reiker

Quote Originally Posted by learnerspermit View Post
    Hi- I just framed a 14X20 4 season porch with 8 ft ceilings and 10 5x2 windows and 2 3' exterior doors. One of the 20 ft walls attaches to the rear of the house- porch is suspended apprx 30" above ground with open air circulating underneath. I have been looking into heating options and have been getting feedback from heating experts that running baseboard heat (i have in hot water baseboard in rest of house) out there will definitely freeze up on coldest days (10 degrees)(i have oil burning furnace) I have been reading about hydronic floor systems and propane wall units. I am looking to obviously get the most efficient system at the best price-- Any advice of total install and operating costs of any of the above mentioned or other alternatives would be much appreciated. Not interested in wood, corn, or pellet stoves. Thanks in advance.
    Try one of these>

http://www.buyreiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by thorton View Post
    Try one of these>

http://www.buyreiker.com/
    You've got to be kidding! Do you really think 1500 watts of electric heat is going to heat that room? Most hair dryers produce 1500 watts of heat.

Maybe you should leave the HVAC tips to the professionals.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by learnerspermit View Post
    Now do you have a furnace or a boiler for heat in the rest of the house?? I think you meant you have a oil burning boiler right?? Seems like the room will have alot of heat loss with all the windows..So to run any kind of hot water to the room(Off your exitesing boiler) would cost a fourtune..Just because the boiler would run all the time to keep up the temp..Unless you have it zoned..Still i think it would cost to much,even if you try to keep the at around 50*..I'd say go with the space heater..That way you can only run the system when your in that room..

Quote Originally Posted by donnybrooks View Post
    Now do you have a furnace or a boiler for heat in the rest of the house?? I think you meant you have a oil burning boiler right?? Seems like the room will have alot of heat loss with all the windows..So to run any kind of hot water to the room(Off your exitesing boiler) would cost a fourtune..Just because the boiler would run all the time to keep up the temp..Unless you have it zoned..Still i think it would cost to much,even if you try to keep the at around 50*..I'd say go with the space heater..That way you can only run the system when your in that room..
    You are right- Ive got an 18 year old Utica oil burning boiler that heats the house via baseboard and that is piped to a 40 gallon megastor indirect water heater for hot water. (for showers-) I was planning on adding the room as a separate zone. Im leery about electric due to the fact that it seems like its gone up 40% in three years...and was expensive before that- but with rising fuel costs maybe its more comparable nowadays?. I have a 610 gallon 2 tank (275+330) oil system and wanted to take advantage of this. Doesnt sound like anyone is leaning towards hydronic floor systems.. I cant even find anyone in my area to talk to about it so it must be left for the rich? Anyone else have any direct links to sites that have product or could help me? Thanks alot-

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    You've got to be kidding! Do you really think 1500 watts of electric heat is going to heat that room? Most hair dryers produce 1500 watts of heat.

Maybe you should leave the HVAC tips to the professionals.
    Yes, learnerspermit, RoBoTeq is right! Don't use a Reiker fan, unless you have another heat source, too. Reiker fans are for space heating only, mainly. Not for main heat. You made no reference to how well the season room is insulated or how much design temperature you want in this room. If you want the temperature in the room at least 70F in the coldest day of the year, you certainly will need more then a Reiker space heat fan. Nevertheless, you have lots of windows and doors and will take a main heating source. However, you may want to look into the Reiker space heating fans to suppliment your main heating source, what ever it is. I read where you have already considered a propane wall furnance. I personally wouldn't put in a propane furnace. Those tanks are ugly and the cost of propane is prohibitive. Do you have natural gas available? Or electric baseboard heater would be great for heating, too. I don't know what your electrical rates are, but the nice thing about the electrical heat is there is virtually no maintenance to it. You could possible run the wires yourself, install the heaters yourself, and have an electrician to the final hook-up to your electrical panel. Here are some great electric heaters www.convectair.com Sounds like a nice room you have there. Good luck!

Thorton
    Last edited by thorton; 06-19-2007 at 11:55 AM. Reason: more to add