Inline Whole house humidifier vs. Steam Type

Inline Whole house humidifier vs. Steam Type

Hello Everyone. I'm new here on the forum and a new house owner (in Minneapolis MN area) . I am currently evaluating replacing my All-electric Heat pump system (on Off-Peak electric rate, in a VERY well insulated house) with a Dual fuel Heat Pump (as NG became available at the curb since the house was built (in early 80s).

During winter months I tend to get nosebleeds due to the air being very dry. I also have two small kids and have began to notice that they might be susceptible to the same issue as well. I have been dealing with this for many years, so it's not specific to my new home.

In my product product search for something that would allow me reliably control humidity in the home throughout the heating season I found a Lennox Steam type whole house Humidifier
    http://www.lennox.com/products/indoo...stems/HCSteam/
    I inquired about it when I was getting a quote for the rest of my HVAC system replacement . The salesman recommended a simpler, in-line bypass type humidification and stated that he has never heard of anyone installing the Steam type system in our area (Minnesota, rather a much drier place like Arizona or similar). His numbers for this accessory alone (installed) were $3k+ , which did not sound reasonable at all.

I am wondering if this was just to discourage me from even considering this type of a humidifier or does that actually sound like a legitimate number? Most people I know, have ended up not using or disabling all the other simple types of humidifiers for lack of noticeable difference. Everyone told me the same story, they simply have water droplets in contact with the heated air, which in their mind did not make a significant amount of difference.
    Has anyone been happy with an inline humidifier system, which made an noticable difference?
    Thank you.

Steam humidifiers are the best performers BUT require regular maintenance, especially if you have hard water.
    Prices and discussion of them are not permitted on this forum.
    Fan-assisted humidifiers are an alternative. However they are not as effective as a steam model so you'll need a larger capacity than the steam humidifier.

Evaporative humidifiers are much less expensive to operate. NG heat evaporates water for 60% less energy cost. Get a humidifier with a fan in it. Clean and change the element every year. Sounds like you may be over ventilating during the winter.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Evaporative humidifiers also use much more water and tend to contribute to moldy ductwork more so than steam injection (in my experience) but could be related to lack of maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk