+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiring of a furnace and ac

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Crippling the 2 stage furnace with a little green jumper wire. That's what really pisses me off. But what's the W1 to Y jumper? And R to BK is jumped on the board and nobody has cut it.
    Ive got one for ya... How about a Lennox G71 with a single stage stat?

Post Likes
    I have the same problem. cant find techs that care, and when I do find one hat does care a little bit they as so incompetent I cant send them to do anything.

Post Likes
    How did they not catch a system heating and cooling at same time? Don't they at least check air temp before leaving job! Or while standing in front of furnace you could hear the burners firing and the refrigerant going through coil at same time. I don't go just off a resume anymore, have hired guys with good looking experience but couldn't read a wiring schematic or ladder diagram! Was helping someone I have seen around load a condenser in his van a while back at a supply house. Couldn't help but notice the suction gauge was way out of calibration (+15) on his manifold hanging at the back. I asked if ok to calibrate it and he said ok. Had a small screw diver in shirt pocket and zeroed it, went to zero the high side gauge and it was broke. Told him they had just the gauge in side and could be changed out in a few minutes. His response "Nah, have not needed it lately, but thanks. You all hiring right now?" Me, "Sorry, not right now".

Post Likes
    I would have said if you want to work for me you will replace the broken gauge or you can look else where for a job.
    i do things right or not at all.

Post Likes
    I saw a lot of head-scratchers like this is new construction. I had a furnace wired to the doorbell wires instead of the thermostat, a furnace where the two wire from the A/C was connected to R & C for 24 hour constant condenser cycling, a unit that had a short the installer couldn't find so he left the homeowner a box of 3 amp fuses, etc etc.

I also routinely run across furnaces where Y is directly nutted to the red from outside but not connected to the board. I know immediately that whoever installed this is a butcher, both because they didn't use the terminal on the board and because they clearly put a ton of Goodman in if they do it that way. I've had to explain to more than one tech that some furnaces (Rheem, Carrier, etc) need to see that Y at the board so the blower comes up to the right speed.
    "We always fix it right the second time".

All posts are strictly my opinions and not those of my employer. I cannot make statements on behalf of my employer.

All advice posted by me is for educational purposes only, HVAC repairs should only be conducted by trained & qualified people.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    I had a furnace wired to the doorbell wires instead of the thermostat
    That is nearly impossible to beleive that someone is that stupid. [not that I question you] It reminds me of a "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" skit, and I suppose that makes you the trusty sidkick "Al".
    Politicians need to be changed like diapers, and for the same reason.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by scott64079 View Post
    I have the same problem. cant find techs that care, and when I do find one hat does care a little bit they as so incompetent I cant send them to do anything.
    I don't even know how to find a helper. The one I had for years was great after I trained him, when he was with me I could give him tasks and he'd complete them nicely and quickly then ask for another. Sending him to do something all by his self never worked. Hes no longer with me and I'm dreading training a guy all over again and can't afford to keep an experienced guy busy enough. I got enough work to keep a guy busy for a few weeks right now but I do heating cooling and electric. I feel like I'd spend all my time telling him what to do and would be better off doing it all on my own.

I just moved and I got an $8/hr guy to help with lifting, cleaning and some landscaping. Decent enough worker. I'd bring him on to help but the guy could barely bring you a flat head screwdriver if you asked for one. I could only imagine sending him to the truck for something. I guess he'd be worth $75 a day just to help move equipment and hold stuff for me here and there.

I had my old helpers brother helping me move to. I was jacking up the main beam of my new house, I had my 250 piece socket set in front of me. Sent him to the truck to grab a 3/8ths drive impact. He comes back 10 minutes later dude I don't see a 3/8ths socket only power tools. Come on you stupid SOB my sockets are all right here I need the gd driver. Now I see why all my old bosses did nothing but yell all the time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    That is nearly impossible to beleive that someone is that stupid. [not that I question you] It reminds me of a "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" skit, and I suppose that makes you the trusty sidkick "Al".
    Oh, they are.
    May I revisit one of my old finds, wen an electrician cut the bulbs off a bunch of 1609-101 thermostats I'd installed and hooked the remaining cap tubes to his ground wires.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    I also routinely run across furnaces where Y is directly nutted to the red from outside but not connected to the board.
    Oh man, I am in Cleveland and that is how mine was wired. I put in a programmable stat and wanted to run C to the stat using an available extra wire. I looked at the terminal strip and nothing was connected to Y. I was like, what the heck. But I don't think it mattered for the fan speed since this was a mid-1980's Rheem and the only "board" was an intermittent pilot ignition control.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in