Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I like the Honeywell dehumidifiers best.

Quote Originally Posted by TnNate1412 View Post
    I like the Honeywell dehumidifiers best.
    How do you use them and what size on what size building? Fresh air ventilation? Did you ever try the Ultra-Aire or other brands?
    regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Do it for a matter of health for you and your home. Moisture will find dry air pretty quick and if you have a normal home the heat rises and cool air falls to the basement. The air coming out is slightly warm and is great in the lower level and will warm up and expand the cool air and change the relative humidity quick. Connecting to lower duct work works well or connect to all ducts if needed due to house duct designs. Adding to the main duct will add a little heat upstairs so we try to keep the dry warm air near the cool damp area. But the bottom line is that they are worth the expense .

So reading that,I have to ask... what about just running it as-is in the basement, with a fresh air duct to outside? Pull from one end of the basement and supply to the other. That would be too easy.

got it running somewhat right now I need to pick up a 10" 90* and then run the fresh air duct... and run the condensate like outside (it's in the sink right now).

So, with all of that said, it's been running for 4 hours. The main room in the basement has gone from 69% to 44%. The perimeter hallway is dropping a little more slowly but dropping nonetheless.

Once I have it all done and RH dropped in the entire basement, I'll spray all of the moldy spots and then dri-lock paint the remaining areas of block foundation walls that are still bare.

This thing is a BEAST! It's powerful yet quiet! I am surprised how much heat it generates, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by n2brk View Post
    got it running somewhat right now I need to pick up a 10" 90* and then run the fresh air duct... and run the condensate like outside (it's in the sink right now).

So, with all of that said, it's been running for 4 hours. The main room in the basement has gone from 69% to 44%. The perimeter hallway is dropping a little more slowly but dropping nonetheless.

Once I have it all done and RH dropped in the entire basement, I'll spray all of the moldy spots and then dri-lock paint the remaining areas of block foundation walls that are still bare.

This thing is a BEAST! It's powerful yet quiet! I am surprised how much heat it generates, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.
    The amount of heat depends on the amount of water removed and electricity used. 1,050 btus for each pint/lb. of moisture removed plus 3414 btus per kwh. each degree of temp rise in the space lowers the %RH +2%. Warmer means less moisture needs to be removed. you are removing about 4 lbs. per hour and using about .5 kwh. That's about 10-12 gals. per day to start with. It will drop to about 5 gals. per day when the outdoor dew point is 65-70^F.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

things are continuing to go well. The unit obviously dried out the main room quickly, but it is starting to catch up with the hallway now. I was at 62% RH in the hall last night and it's in the mid-50's now and still dropping. The main room was in the mid 30's today when I checked.

Hopefully I can balance the whole basement out a little better as I work to complete this install.

At some point try operating the blower on the a/c in the on mode. This will circulate the dry throughout the entire home. You will be surprised at the results. Do it when the a/c is in a partial load condition like over night or on a cool wet day.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards TB

My cc-750 let's me vary the speed of my fan. What speed do you recommend to use? I love the lowest speed setting for the winter to move my wood stove heat around

Quote Originally Posted by n2brk View Post
    My cc-750 let's me vary the speed of my fan. What speed do you recommend to use? I love the lowest speed setting for the winter to move my wood stove heat around
    Low speed is fine.
    Regards TB

I made a little more progress today. I took the main room of the basement, and cut a 14"x14" grill into a wall, and used a box fan on low to push some dry room air into the corridor behind the sheetrock wall and before the block foundation wall. Then another two fans take the air and run it in the perimeter hallway around the main room. I decided not to pull from upstairs, and instead the dehu is just pulling from the middle of the basement.

The result is that I managed 50% or less in every part of the basement finally! I bumped the unit to 45% to see how everything goes. I also opened up a couple A/C supply ducts to the main room of the basement to fight some of the dehu's heating.

I'll see how it settles in over the next day I can say that it feels wonderfully comfortable down here! I still need to add the fresh air intake next!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123