+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pneumatic 2 pipe Honeywell T-stat

Post Likes

Hmm Pneumatic 2 pipe Honeywell T-stat

Gentleman,

It's been a while since last post, but I have tuned in from time to time to keep sharp.

I am new to this building and gathering data day by day. What I have gathered thus far is following
    - Meeting area complaints of to warm, hard to get in this room for much more info, may have to schedule after hours follow up. Found thermostat not responsive, this is a simple two pipe single temp control thermostat. Controls vav Titus velocity controller on lower scale for vav cooling and on higher scale controls reheat valve. Replaced t-stat with known working t-stat and was able to get around 6 psi max in cooling, allowing some cooling for staff, shot about 60 degrees at register with temp gun, but not full velocity. I noticed I was not able to see 15 psi when lowered stat to lowest setting, like in some other zones. (Noted some slight air bleed by stat also) Could this be a faulty velocity conroller, loose tubing in the wall or the like? (Doubt tubing issue).
    Thanks..

Post Likes
    The branch or controlling pressure is not capable of much volume. So if you have a leak in the hot water valve or velocity reset controller it will not be able to keep up and will not control properly. Stats do bleed air when the bi-metal responds to temperature changes but should not be doing it continually unless it is a single pipe thermostat they bleed almost all the time. Now lets be sure of the action if in cooling you had 6 psi (sounds funny) by lowering the thermostat set-point you should see the 15... Normally DA thermostats were used for most VAV applications (unless changeover stats) temp up pressure up with 3-6# reheat valves for heating. So any leakage of air on the branch will not allow the cooling to increase. You would calibrate the room thermostat at 7-9#. You can pinch off the brance line and verify the thermostat does reach the 15 as a starting point then look for leaks. Either the HWV or Velocity reset controller.

Post Likes
    Thanks Catalina...
    This is a D/A T-stat, on re-visit I will check devices for leakeage

Post Likes
    I use hemostat to pinch off branch line and see if pressure builds at the stat but that just proves the stat is good you probably have a bad diaphragm in reheat or some other bad valve. keep pinching off lines and you will find it. Finally a use for old roachclips.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    A lot of volume controllers reversed the signal. For example a R/A thermostat with a reverse volume controller and a normally closed vav box. On a call for cooling the pressure goes down at the thermostat and is reversed at the volume controller for cooling within its max and minimum settings.

Post Likes
    Yes and also in the Midwest and eastern engineers specify "NO" hot water reheat valves.

Post Likes
    I really hate vav boxes without reheat valves. I also hate the vav boxes that recurculate the return air through a filter using a fan. ARGGH

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in