Thread: Hard Start kit?

Post Likes

Hard Start kit?

Recently had the capacitor replaced in a rental homes 3 ton Goodman. While talking to the ac guy today to get his address of where to send the check (im not in the same town) he brought up that i might want to consider having him put on what hes calling a "hard start kit,"

I briefly questioned him as to why, he said basically said it will "make the compressor last longer."

This is the first time Ive ever heard of a "hard start kit" and the first time anyone has ever even mentioned one. Im in my 70s and have several rent houses plus have lived this long and had many central air units over my lifetime in my own homes.

Can someone thats unbiased explain to an confused old man WHY he would think i need something like this.

Seriously im not really confused, just disgruntled with the current administration we have in the good 'ol usa but thats another story.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-07-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Post Likes
    he didnt say mine was having a hard time starting, just that it makes all compressors last longer and that all should have them, is that a fib or what.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-07-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Post Likes
    HVACMIKE2013

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-07-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Post Likes
    Hard start kit help get compressor up to speed faster and not linger at heat generating "start" mode. Older compressors may have tighter bearings or neighborhood electricity voltage is lower then past years. Typical in aging neighborhoods.

I routinely put these kits in my new installs and this is an option manufactures suggests.

Post Likes
    I cant say that he lied, but if your compressor started with no problem after the new capacitor was installed you really don't need it. But if it is a old unit and rental units usually get the worst it might save a trip down the road if one is needed later so...

Post Likes
    Its not a bad idea. They are good for it. Regardless of age. As long as it was a 5-2-1 style.

Post Likes
    It's kind of the same thing as a pace maker, keep in mind that if you live by it you may die buy it also.

Post Likes
    if they are good for the unit why dont they come installed on the units from the factory like dryers are. They dont seem to cost much to buy or have installed.

Post Likes
    Most resi equipment is sold with the bare minimums to keep the selling price down. Many options are available as options. If installed as standard equipment they will become more expensive than the next guy. Compressor time delays, hi and low pressure switches, tev's would all be nice as standard equipment but would add to final cost. Many times they are added or recommended by the installing contractor.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Kenneth View Post
    if they are good for the unit why dont they come installed on the units from the factory like dryers are. They dont seem to cost much to buy or have installed.
    Dryers are rarely installed in units, they are also extra.

Post Likes
    10-15 years ago most nicer systems did come with them.

Post Likes
    Remind you that TXV systems ought to be standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in