Compressor Issues

I recently serviced a unit that is about 25 years old ( I know , people think they should run for life ) and the problem was warm air from vents so I start trouble shooting, finding that the unit was severly low on freon. I evac.. and pump up with nitrogen to find a leak and did find a very small leak and fixed it.
    So I Vacumm unit to 375 microns and let it stand and everything is good.
    Weighed in the charge and started unit, checked superheat and it was great. Then I check Temp change acorss evep. coil and it was text book, So I left the owner with a great running unit.

Well today I get a call that the unit is blowing warm air so I go to check it out and when i got there it was severly low on freon ( Now i'm stratching my head for real) So I pump it up with nitrogen and bubble everything and I mean everything. Absolutely no leaks , No bubbles , Pressure remains Same for long period of time. I'm thinking If the unit is going to leak 3.5 pounds of freon in four days it's a substantial leak. but I can not find anything at all. My thought is maybe the compressor is leaking internally, But i'm not that familiar with compressors yet and i'm looking for some advice and the good news is that I finally got the homeowner to buy a new unit but i'm still wondering about the old one for general knowledge.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Shouldn't we be learnin and livin instead of livin and learnin...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatertech View Post
    I recently serviced a unit that is about 25 years old ( I know , people think they should run for life ) and the problem was warm air from vents so I start trouble shooting, finding that the unit was severly low on freon. I evac.. and pump up with nitrogen to find a leak and did find a very small leak and fixed it.
    So I Vacumm unit to 375 microns and let it stand and everything is good.
    Weighed in the charge and started unit, checked superheat and it was great. Then I check Temp change acorss evep. coil and it was text book, So I left the owner with a great running unit.

Well today I get a call that the unit is blowing warm air so I go to check it out and when i got there it was severly low on freon ( Now i'm stratching my head for real) So I pump it up with nitrogen and bubble everything and I mean everything. Absolutely no leaks , No bubbles , Pressure remains Same for long period of time. I'm thinking If the unit is going to leak 3.5 pounds of freon in four days it's a substantial leak. but I can not find anything at all. My thought is maybe the compressor is leaking internally, But i'm not that familiar with compressors yet and i'm looking for some advice and the good news is that I finally got the homeowner to buy a new unit but i'm still wondering about the old one for general knowledge.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    my opinion..you need a electronic leak detector,easy to find leaks in coils,and what do you mean compressor leaking internally???if it is hermetic??,you would find the leak with a elec..if it is leaking internally,by means of the valves,you would see a high to low side leak..if thats what you mean..
    its hard to find a leak in a ciol without an elec,but over 3 pounds of refrigerant in four days,you would think you would hear somthing if you pump it up over 150 pound with nitro

Why didn't you sell them a new unit to begin with?

You wasted your time and theirs trying to fix that old POS.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Did you check to see if the valve caps were tight when you got back?

It could of easily been a huffer that opened up a cap and whacked his brain out on R22 through the night.

One way to find that out is put a little nail polish across the cap threads. If it is broken when you get back, then someone has been screwing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    Why didn't you sell them a new unit to begin with?

You wasted your time and theirs trying to fix that old POS.

Well the feiry f****** godmother didn't steal your r-22 lol Sir Yes Sir

Gatertech dont give up keep looking theres got to be a leak somewere.

Have you checked the service valves for a leak with your gauges disconnected and caps on?

Check the service ports. I have found the schraders tend to leak even on new equipment. When you have your gauges connected you will most likely not find it.

One of the first and last things we do.

Tom

I told the home owner that they needed a new unit but if youv'e heard it once youv'e heard it a thousand times ( I'm just trying to get by this summer and next summer I will replace it, lol ). If they would rather spend their money trying to fix this dinosuar I'm not going to turn it down.

I did pressurize and disc.. the guages and then check for leaks and found nothing my next move is a leak detector

Also valves and caps are fine
    Shouldn't we be learnin and livin instead of livin and learnin...

I am so glad you attempted to fix it. That is what good contractors do. And, to that "Sergeant" fellow from cross town, do you still have any more recycled R-22 for sale? I need a little over 3 lbs.

How long did it hold @ 375 microns? Sounds like leaking shraders or huffers. I hadn't seen evidence of huffers for a few years prior to this summer.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain