Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some guidance upgrading from 3.5 ton to 5.0 ton

Post Likes
    Another choice for you

your ducts are unlikely to be able to cope with the air flow req of a 5 ton unit.

going to a 2/3 ton dual system is likely to result in duct work mods = renos

I suggest you consider a mini split system for the 2 ton bedroom areas (you may even find a smaller mini split will do the job - a two head or three head system - cap off or reduce the air flows from the existing vents to just provide ventilation air

do you argue with the auto machanic when you get your car fixed or the dentist when he says you need a filling replaced?
    respect people its not hard
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Another choice for you

your ducts are unlikely to be able to cope with the air flow req of a 5 ton unit.

going to a 2/3 ton dual system is likely to result in duct work mods = renos
    Sounds like we're going to need to do ductwork either way. Can that be pulled through a shallow attic or will we have to rip out the ceilings in each room?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    It always scares me away when a HO starts with the "all you have to do" comments I am reading from this post. My comment to anyone who started talking like that was; "that's fine, if its that simply, you don't need me. Have a nice day."

This falls back to the same issue of disrespect for the HVAC industry. If you as a consumer know better then the HVAC professionals, then you shouldn't need a professional at all.

I'm trying to picture telling the doc inserting the stents into my heart; "hey doc, all you have to do is...."
    Not sure where you're coming from on this. Sounds like you're a bit defensive. I'm not trying to over-simplify the project, nor am I making it out to be something easier than it is. Consequences are also just SLIGHTLY different than a botched up heart surgery. Only thing to lose here is time and $$. As a matter of fact, the only info I'm passing on is what the tech provided which were his ideas, and this was after his Manual J calculation.

Have a little more confidence. Obviously you know what you're doing and everyone here seems to value your opinion. Maybe in the marketplace you run across some know-it-all HOs, but those same types would never go to a chat board to ask advice. Everyone here is seeking guidance from pros and you are providing that. Keep it up

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 1warmhouse View Post
    To answer your question, yes, each contractor I've spoken with has used the ton/sq ft rule. Even the Trane rep that came out did some work on his calculator, scribbled some notes, and still said, yep....5 ton.

Well, as far as updates, the place hasn't been touched in over 40 years. The ductwork is wrapped metal ducting throughout. It currently has the air handler in the attic, which we're obviously going to remove and mount a new one vertical in the hall closet.

It has the older awning style windows (crank windows) and I was planning to replace them with impact glass. The attic has blown in insulation and I was planning to increase that as well. I'm planning to have FPL come out to do their home energy survey, but appts take a while to set up due to high demand.

Do all these need to be done prior to doing the load calculation?

You need to include those factors in the load calc. to end up with a correctly sized system.Problem is until they are all installed,your system would likelybe too small.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Being in Florida,Ifind it hard to believe that someone lived in the house ,with a 3.5 ton system,and it needs a 5 ton.

Just because they did a calc. doesn't mean it correct.Plus with all the improvements you mentioned,I think you'll be oversized,and you really don't want that here in FL.

I'd go with a zoning system,like Carriers Infinity,it easily adapted to typical Florida flex system,requires no bypass,dehumidifies,etc.,etc..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 1warmhouse View Post
    Not sure where you're coming from on this. Sounds like you're a bit defensive. I'm not trying to over-simplify the project, nor am I making it out to be something easier than it is. Consequences are also just SLIGHTLY different than a botched up heart surgery. Only thing to lose here is time and $$. As a matter of fact, the only info I'm passing on is what the tech provided which were his ideas, and this was after his Manual J calculation.

Have a little more confidence. Obviously you know what you're doing and everyone here seems to value your opinion. Maybe in the marketplace you run across some know-it-all HOs, but those same types would never go to a chat board to ask advice. Everyone here is seeking guidance from pros and you are providing that. Keep it up
    Didn't mean to offend, but you are correct that I am a bit defensive. We have been having some problems with a few HO's posting trash about our industry and HVAC professionals in general as well as one specifically suggesting that I personally am one of the idiot HVAC pros they are referring to.

We are trying to keep an even keel here so that professional members do not stop posting in this area. Many professional members have become disgusted with the abusive posts toward the HVAC industry and those of us who dedicate ourselves to it and will no longer post in this area to help HO's with legitimate inquiries. When this happened, there are HOs who somehow feel they have the expertise to advise other HOs in the area of HVAC issues. Most of the information given by HOs is either dead wrong or geared toward degrading the HVAC industry.

Sorry you got caught up in the attitude concerning this.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Being in Florida,Ifind it hard to believe that someone lived in the house ,with a 3.5 ton system,and it needs a 5 ton.

Just because they did a calc. doesn't mean it correct.Plus with all the improvements you mentioned,I think you'll be oversized,and you really don't want that here in FL.

I'd go with a zoning system,like Carriers Infinity,it easily adapted to typical Florida flex system,requires no bypass,dehumidifies,etc.,etc..
    Under the circumstances I have to agree with dash on this one. Of course, any brand of equipment can be installed with any zoning system (just don't tell dash )
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    You need to include those factors in the load calc. to end up with a correctly sized system.Problem is until they are all installed,your system would likelybe too small.
    Actually, I had him do the calc based on the upgraded insulation and new windows, since we're already budgeted for that.

As far as the Carrier Infinity sytsem, I have a dealer here who is really pushing the Bryant equivalent of that one. He says they're exactly the same and he would have "just changed the badging in the warehouse but wanted to be honest with me"....yeah. That gives me a good feeling. I looked up the specs on each and the SEER rating is different for the Carrier vs Bryant, so though they are made by the same company, there must be some difference. Is that like saying a Lexus ES350 is a Toyota Camry? Not exactly the same, right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Didn't mean to offend, but you are correct that I am a bit defensive. We have been having some problems with a few HO's posting trash about our industry and HVAC professionals in general as well as one specifically suggesting that I personally am one of the idiot HVAC pros they are referring to.

We are trying to keep an even keel here so that professional members do not stop posting in this area. Many professional members have become disgusted with the abusive posts toward the HVAC industry and those of us who dedicate ourselves to it and will no longer post in this area to help HO's with legitimate inquiries. When this happened, there are HOs who somehow feel they have the expertise to advise other HOs in the area of HVAC issues. Most of the information given by HOs is either dead wrong or geared toward degrading the HVAC industry.

Sorry you got caught up in the attitude concerning this.
    No problem, I'm not offended to say the least. I actually really appreciate the help and advice. This is a very expensive project overall and the hvac is a big deal for us too. My only only only only issue down here is that there's no way to know if the pricing on units is raised to compensate for the FPL rebate program. We get a certain $$ back but it seems as though the unit prices have been increased to absorb that and keep profits at the same level. Is there any way to find out MSRP on these, like somewhere other than FL?

Post Likes

darn, C.G. is becoming quite the expert!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in