Smile Newbie with questions

Howdy folks.

Noob from Atlanta here with some questions.

I am currently an acting regional property manager for a government agency in Atlanta/Fulton County. I am SMT/SMA certified, and started out as the Maintenance Super, and moved up into Property management of the all the same buildings. One of the buildings has a York 90 ton centrifugal chiller on it that has been well maintained, but is now 12 years old. The past 3 years, it has been running pretty much 24-7 as this building is a 24-7 property, and always has people in it. A Johnson-metasys controlls system is also present, but it is a very old system, and extremely limited ( install date of 1995 )

I am worried that the chiller is now in the critical age, and may fail in the next few years. Problem is, with the way Fulton County works, there is little to no contingency money for this in my budget, and the money to put it on a Fullservice PM contract with an HVAC company also does not exist. basically, I'm on my own.

1. If properly maintained, how long is the average lifespan of a unit like mine?
    2. In the event of a complete "scramble" (impeller gone, etc) who rents chillers in the Atlanta area?
    3. Would the rental company be likely to provide the hookups, hoses etc for the chiller to interface with my system?
    4. any details you can share about your contingency plans, experiances, etc..will help. I'm new to being a Property Manager, and not afraid to ask for help, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

-JV26
    Last edited by Jv26; 06-12-2007 at 01:19 PM.

centrifugal life span

I think that you are getting ahead of yourself a little a properly maintained centrifugal should easily last 30 - 40 years I have worked on centrifugals that were 60 years old and currently have one that is 44 y/o.

As far as renting a chiller if the need ever does arises it should be easy to find a company locally that will rent to you. And if you are willing to pay what ever they want to charge then they will be willing to hook it up any way that you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jv26 View Post
    Howdy folks.

Noob from Atlanta here with some questions.

I am currently an acting regional property manager for a government agency in Atlanta/Fulton County. I am SMT/SMA certified, and started out as the Maintenance Super, and moved up into Property management of the all the same buildings. One of the buildings has a York 90 ton centrifugal chiller on it that has been well maintained, but is now 12 years old. The past 3 years, it has been running pretty much 24-7 as this building is a 24-7 property, and always has people in it. A Johnson-metasys controlls system is also present, but it is a very old system, and extremely limited ( install date of 1995 )

I am worried that the chiller is now in the critical age, and may fail in the next few years. Problem is, with the way Fulton County works, there is little to no contingency money for this in my budget, and the money to put it on a Fullservice PM contract with an HVAC company also does not exist. basically, I'm on my own.

1. If properly maintained, how long is the average lifespan of a unit like mine?
    2. In the event of a complete "scramble" (impeller gone, etc) who rents chillers in the Atlanta area?
    3. Would the rental company be likely to provide the hookups, hoses etc for the chiller to interface with my system?
    4. any details you can share about your contingency plans, experiances, etc..will help. I'm new to being a Property Manager, and not afraid to ask for help, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

-JV26
    Contact Trane Rental Services, or the local Trane factory service, I believe Atlanta has a branch to Get a Contingency Plan and budget in action. You should not need to worry, but if you have no back up, and atlanta is a all year cooling area, then extended shut downs for overhauls may be an issue. They will give a qoute for all epuiptment and hook ups and the whole deal.

do not wait for a failure. while your chiller may be in great shape and work well for a long time to come...you do not have the luxury of time during a failure. i am sure there are many places that rent chillers. i work for Trane so i would say call Trane. no matter what...call somebody right away. when the chiller goes down, that is not the time to figure out a contingency plan.

make a plan now. call someone and have them come out and they should be able to tell you how it will work if there is a failure. there may be many options. most rentals will be air cooled and come on a flat bed trailer. will you need a generator or can you have an electrician bring power to side of the building today? having power right there will save you money and perhaps time in finding a generator large enough to handle the rental. are you going to be able to use the chiller pumps for the rental? you may need to rent those as well unless you can use the existing chiller pumps. you would then need to provide piping to the rental unit.

etc, etc, etc.

there are a great many things that you can do in advance to prepare for such an emergency. your situation and budget will dictate those things. but at least have a plan and phone numbers ready at the first sign of tradegy.

good luck.
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

Thanks for the advice guys.. I'll contact the Trane people here in Atlanta and have them check it out. Time is critical here because the bldg in question is a public 24-7 facility, and we cannot have any significant downtime. the rental chiller is the way to go I'm thinking if we have a critical failure.

good news on the lifespan of the chillers, I did not know that the lifespan was so long...makes me feel a little better now!

Life span

I agree with the others. That chiller is just a teenager. Lots of years left.

However, the tubes are worth checking out just for safety sake. Get a price for an eddy current test of the tubes. Thats a small unit and shouldn't cost much.

Also if there is oil anywhere around the unit it might be in need of a rebuild/gaskets. Trane units are around every 9 years, carriers are 4-5 years depending on the run hours. I have seen tranes go over 15 without rebuilds and run fine with no leaks.