Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

A-coil totally iced up...UPDATE w/pics

In a continuation form this post...
    A-coil iced up,
    I decided to see how dirty the inside of the coil was. I removed the ductwork from around it and was really hoping to see a clog in there. Couldn't imagine how it would be so dirty though as I have a Space-Guard high efficiency filter on the inlet of the blower. But anyway. The pics below are what I saw. Looks pretty clean to me. Do you guys see anything here that could be my problem? I used a fine brush and a vacuum and cleaned it the best I could, but really didn't remove any dirt/buildup. Is the rust/corrosion on the outside frame of the A-coil anything to be concerned with? Unit is 11 years old.
    Thanks in advance for your time/feedback.

call a tech. you need service.

What is your External Static Pressure measured at the furnace? BTW, you'll need to run the cooling for about 15 minutes first and then measure the ESP with the cooling on. Why? Because you should have a wet coil before measuring the your ESP because there is a difference in measured ESP between a wet and dry evaporator coil.

Hey, I can't help it if you don't have a magnehelic gauge!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Noone here can "see" the problem without being there, in person, with the proper equipment to analyze and diagnose your problem. Do yourself a favor, call a reputable company to do the above.

wow, you did alot of work taking that apart for nothing...

This is not a problem that a DIY can diagnose.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

I see the leak(s).

Oh well...it LOOKED like dirt through the ice. I've seen it before, but a photo is never as good as being there. Shows why this internet diagnosis gig ain't gonna be dead on...
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Just my personal opinion: You probably have a more serious problem, one that is not easily diagnosed (the old 'arm chair' method will not work this time).

You really need a quality tech out there. What part of the country are you in?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    wow, you did alot of work taking that apart for nothing...
    Not really, I confirmed the coil was clean. I wouldn't say that was a lot of work for nothing. It wasn't what I would call hard work getting to it. It's all back together now and the fan is running. I'll call a local HVAC guy tomorrow.
    ...I do have a magnahelic and a photohelic at work. I can bring it home and measure for my own reference for future tests.

I am in Northeat PA, Nazareth PA, about 15 minutes NE of Allentown.
    Thanks for the input guys, I do appreciate it.

you working with sheet metal or ductboard?

Quote Originally Posted by acmech13 View Post
    you working with sheet metal or ductboard?
    Sheetmetal, why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by VincentR View Post
    ...I do have a magnahelic and a photohelic at work. I can bring it home and measure for my own reference for future tests.
    If you call a service guy out, be sure to ask him what the external static pressure is. A ½ inch of water column would be ideal but not likely.

Jabs

Who wants to bet that system is choked (as in cannot get enough air to flow)???

That spacegaurd is a GREAT air filter, but there needs to be enough physical area on both sides of it (read that ductwork) to flow enough air to allow the system to breathe.

Be SURE you get the tech that comes out to check external static pressure (both on supply and return).

While you are at it, get the tech to check SH and SC (superheat and subcooling), with the air temps at the time checked (outdoor and indoor dry bulb, and indoor wet bulb).

And let us know what you (and the tech) find...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast